Video editor & frame rate questions

sticktodrum

Video editor & frame rate questions

Post by sticktodrum » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:57 pm

I'm curious to know what NLE you guys are using for the footage. I've been using Premiere Pro for everything for the last few years, and it seems to handle it well. However some anomalies in editing have brought up some questions.

When the capture software records at 30fps, is it actually 30 frames, or the 29.97 frames in drop-frame time code?

I had an instance when I was recording, and hit a bit of a frame rate drop for a second or two. It picked back up fine, and the end recording was ok aside from that small portion of time where it went to something like 10fps. Audio sync is fine on that clip when played in VLC, but as soon as it gets put on the timeline in Premiere, everything after that portion is out of sync by a second or so.

Would the NLE be processing the frames differently than a media player would? I ran an external audio recorder for the game audio and commentary mic, and then ran the line out into my PC, so that audio is on the recording. The audio tracks (both the video's and the external mix) line up fine, but the video drops out of sync after that chunk.

Any ideas?
Do not put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum.