XL, 2DS, New 3DS, etc

Wolf

Re: XL, 2DS, New 3DS, etc

Post by Wolf » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:13 pm

Nyaako wrote:
Guest wrote:Just a thought but wouldn't it be incredibly easier to just have hdmi out? That way you could just run the hdmi cable to a capture card or directly to a display so you could play 3ds/ds games in 2d on a big screen. Hopefully just using hdmi out would also eliminate almost all of the lag as well so you could play and enjoy it.
Easier said than done.
Well if you look at how it is done now with a custom program being needed to be developed for it just to read the feed/record it you would think simply pulling the digital video data that goes to the top screen and wiring it to a hdmi port or mini display port would be incredibly simpler.

desocietas

Post by desocietas » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:02 am

Wolf wrote:
Nyaako wrote:
Guest wrote:Just a thought but wouldn't it be incredibly easier to just have hdmi out? That way you could just run the hdmi cable to a capture card or directly to a display so you could play 3ds/ds games in 2d on a big screen. Hopefully just using hdmi out would also eliminate almost all of the lag as well so you could play and enjoy it.
Easier said than done.
Well if you look at how it is done now with a custom program being needed to be developed for it just to read the feed/record it you would think simply pulling the digital video data that goes to the top screen and wiring it to a hdmi port or mini display port would be incredibly simpler.
But you're pulling from two separate displays...

Nyaako

Post by Nyaako » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:41 am

Wolf wrote:
Nyaako wrote:
Easier said than done.
Again, easier said than done.

Wolf

Post by Wolf » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:43 am

desocietas wrote:
Wolf wrote:
Nyaako wrote:Easier said than done.
But you're pulling from two separate displays...
Nope, just the top. The bottom display requires touch screen input for some games so the ds would be the controller and the top screen would be the only one with the image getting sent to the display.

Wolf

Post by Wolf » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:44 am

Nyaako wrote:
Wolf wrote:
Nyaako wrote:Easier said than done.
Again, easier said than done.
Again, easier done than the current method. So when designing a method for the 3ds new and xl it would make sense to... wait for it.... do it the easier way.

ilyich

Post by ilyich » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:09 am

Wolf wrote: Again, easier done than the current method. So when designing a method for the 3ds new and xl it would make sense to... wait for it.... do it the easier way.
So, if it's so much easier done than what Loopy's doing, why not just do it yourself? Even as a proof of concept?

And anyways, most people don't just want the top screen. It kind of defeats the purpose of capturing footage for some games.

Wolf

Post by Wolf » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:19 am

ilyich wrote:
Wolf wrote: Again, easier done than the current method. So when designing a method for the 3ds new and xl it would make sense to... wait for it.... do it the easier way.
So, if it's so much easier done than what Loopy's doing, why not just do it yourself? Even as a proof of concept?

And anyways, most people don't just want the top screen. It kind of defeats the purpose of capturing footage for some games.
Because I had an idea for a simpler way to do it better so... I shared it. I don't have the skills to do it myself so... I talked to someone that does.

And a consolized ds would mean you could play ds and 3ds games on a big screen. While not recording the bottom screen might not appeal to some game streamers it would appeal to everyone that wants to play handheld games from those two systems on a large screen which is a far bigger market.

Tecd0c

Post by Tecd0c » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:25 am

@Wolf
To me it does not make sense, with HDMI you would need another way of recording it again. So your "simple solution" ends up just displaying a screen not beeing able to record or stream.
In my understanding this is 99% customers want, not just having one screen on a bigger display...

Nyaako

Post by Nyaako » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:26 am

Wolf wrote:Again, easier done than the current method. So when designing a method for the 3ds new and xl it would make sense to... wait for it.... do it the easier way.
You know what the phrase "easier said than done" means? You make it sound like its easier and you think it's easier, but can you actually prove that it's easier? You haven't exactly proved that it's easier to do. If it is easier to do all that as you say, then why isn't Loopy (and Katsukity) doing it? They aren't idiots, I'm sure they've thought about using HDMI and whatnot. Plus, Loopy's current capture card already works pretty well as it is and the 3DS's native resolution isn't even close to HD, so an HDMI/Mini Display Port isn't really worth it, imo.

Plus, it's a "capture card" used for "capturing" footage. The biggest reason to get a 3DS capture card is to record footage of 3DS gameplay, anyway. And there's barely any lag when I use it.

Wolf

Post by Wolf » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:08 am

Tecd0c wrote:@Wolf
To me it does not make sense, with HDMI you would need another way of recording it again. So your "simple solution" ends up just displaying a screen not beeing able to record or stream.
In my understanding this is 99% customers want, not just having one screen on a bigger display...
Yes, you would need a capture card to record with hdmi out. And that is another device you would need which is less simple. However, how many streamers exclusively stream 3ds content? Odds are if you are a streamer you will also be doing at least one console like the ps4, xbox 1, switch, ect and if that is true then you should already have a hdmi capture card to record over hdmi.

So my solution would be simpler to implement for the developer, as well as any streamers that don't exclusively do 3ds content (I'm betting that is almost the entirety of them).

And once again the market for people that want to play handheld devices on big screen displays is far bigger than just the streaming market. So not only would this be simpler on the developer and not matter to many of the existing customers (and if it did it isn't like the other mod for the old school 3ds would be discontinued) it also opens up an entirely new (and far more profitable) group of people to sell to. A lot of people would be interested in playing ds and 3ds games in 2d mode on a big screen.