CuteCapture - Capture Software for Linux and Mac

gRuFtY

Re: Cute(3)DSCapture - A Capture Software for Linux (and Mac

Post by gRuFtY » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:33 pm

Builds for Ubuntu and Debian are nearly ready. I'll update the opening post once they finished compiling. For now, they don't have a start menu entry and can only be started from the commandline, but hey, that's better than nothing. I'll have a look at that some other time, I'm just not sure how to do that in .deb files.

[EDIT:] Jinx'd it. There are some problems I need to fix before this works as intended, but I think I know what to do.
[EDIT2:] The versions are online, but for now only Ubuntu is documented. Install instructions for Debian will follow soon.

gRuFtY

Post by gRuFtY » Thu May 11, 2017 3:05 pm

Just a quick update: I still haven't forgotten about this. But it's been a busy time at university, I missed a lot when I was at the hospital, but I'm slowing getting back on track.
Mac support is still problematic. Apple doesn't make it easy to develop software for Mac if you don't have one yourself.
I am currently trying to make a new feature happen: V-sync. I had a lot of screen tearing on my system when using Cute Capture and I hope to fix that with v-sync. That'll need some testing, but if it works as I intend I plan on releasing it soonish, which might be nice for other linux-users.

desocietas

Post by desocietas » Thu May 11, 2017 5:08 pm

gRuFtY wrote:Just a quick update: I still haven't forgotten about this. But it's been a busy time at university, I missed a lot when I was at the hospital, but I'm slowing getting back on track.
Mac support is still problematic. Apple doesn't make it easy to develop software for Mac if you don't have one yourself.
I am currently trying to make a new feature happen: V-sync. I had a lot of screen tearing on my system when using Cute Capture and I hope to fix that with v-sync. That'll need some testing, but if it works as I intend I plan on releasing it soonish, which might be nice for other linux-users.
Hope things at university are going smoothly and glad to hear things are getting back on track for you!

jaderocc

Post by jaderocc » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:19 pm

any chance cdc will be updated to work with current mac os's?

Tablemon

Post by Tablemon » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:42 pm

This is never going to be updated for newer OSX's isn't it? :(

Reubster101

Post by Reubster101 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:03 pm

Hey, as soon as I put the USB in my mac to use CuteDS the software crashes, I'm just using my DS capture card and have never tried it before.

vgmoose

Re: Cute(3)DSCapture - A Capture Software for Linux (and Mac)

Post by vgmoose » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:38 am

I don't have a 3DS capture card, but i have recompiled and rebundled this app for newer macOS versions, such as Catalina.

The rebuilt app is here: https://github.com/vgmoose/Cute3DSCaptu ... /v1.3.2mac

I know this is an old concern, but I'm looking for feedback from people on whether this works or has other problems, and to also help debug those issues. I definitely agree that Apple doesn't make it easy to distribute software for a number of reasons (need Mac to build, have to reference libraries a certain way, need the app signed), but would like to help workaround these obstacles if possible.

gRuFtY

Post by gRuFtY » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:54 am

Hi there o/

Somehow, I never got notifications that this thread was still active-ish.
I know a few people also have reached out to me on Github, vgmoose being one of them.

First of all: I've had a busy life the past few years and unfortunately didn't have much time or, to be frank, motivation to work on this.
One main problem why I lost interest is, that trying to develop for Mac without owning one is frickin hard. I didn't expect that, but it killed my motivation. Also, I'm mostly using my 3DS capture card for streams, and nowadays just reboot into Windows for that, so I don't even have that much need for a Linux version myself anymore.

I'm not sure about the future of these tools. vgmoose mentioned some contributions they'd like to do over on Github and I very much want to help make that happen. That would mostly involve automatic builds and trying to get CuteCapture onto the mac store 🤯

Besides that, I can't make any promises about this tool.

sudofox

Post by sudofox » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:01 pm

I added a feature and fixed a few bugs to Cute3DSCapture recently. It'd be nice to start working on trying to add audio support, but I'm not sure where to start having zero experience with working with USB devices and little to no documentation on how the capture card hardware works.

https://github.com/Gotos/Cute3DSCapture/pull/5/

I'm thinking about learning how to use Ghidra and reverse-engineering Loopy's official .exe. Could be a fun project to expand my horizons.

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:55 pm

Reading audio is pretty straightforward. It's extra data added to the end of each frame, just do a longer read. It can get a bit tricky keeping in sync and avoiding skips because it's at an unusual sample rate (~32kHz).

I decided to pick up one of these. I think that TV-kit katsukity sold is just a raspberry pi running his capture software, I thought I'd try the same. I don't know how much free time I'll have to mess with it. Might be fun to play around with if you want something new to work on.