Native N3ds Capture

HarryF

Native N3ds Capture

Post by HarryF » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:01 am

https://gbatemp.net/threads/ntrcfw-3-4- ... ds.422618/

What does this mean for the future. Will we get proper cards still, as I expect imho the business incentive to do this will go way down.

mapizzafood

Re: Native N3ds Capture

Post by mapizzafood » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:21 am

HarryF wrote:https://gbatemp.net/threads/ntrcfw-3-4- ... ds.422618/

What does this mean for the future. Will we get proper cards still, as I expect imho the business incentive to do this will go way down.
For those people that downgrade their N3DS XL, they might not need them. However, as of right now, I've seen that the framerate is not very good in various areas yet.

In addition, some people don't want to risk bricking their system through a downgrade/CFW, so they'll still need a capture board if they want to record footage and play 3DS games online.

desocietas

Post by desocietas » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:25 am

Eh, I don't think it'll kill capture card sales really. Not everyone will be interested in streaming their video wirelessly. I personally wouldn't want to sacrifice the FPS, but that's me.

Nyaako

Post by Nyaako » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:28 am

Even if it gets stable enough to have constant fps, only a handful of people can use it since the majority of people don't have a hacked New3DS.

ShadowMario3

Post by ShadowMario3 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:34 pm

Nyaako wrote:Even if it gets stable enough to have constant fps, only a handful of people can use it since the majority of people don't have a hacked New3DS.
Pretty much this. I don't see this killing any interest for capture cards anytime soon. I don't know how many people are willing to downgrade and install CFW in order to use this. Also, from what I heard, both new and old 3DS use the same wi-fi device, which is b/g only. If that is true, that is a theoretical max of 54 Mbps for streaming, and with all the resources and other wi-fi devices in the area interfering, it'll be interesting to see if the NTR devs can really maintain a steady 60 FPS through streaming.

theskipster

Post by theskipster » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:39 pm

So far I've seen video ranging from about 5 to about 40 FPS with the wireless streaming. It seems pretty cool, and I'm considering testing it out, but from what I've seen a capture card is still by far the best option. Maybe for people that already have CFW or are willing to go through the hassle to install it and are just starting out streaming or something, it might be good, rather than pointing a camera at their 3DS. Also, it's n3DS only, so anyone with an o3DS is out of luck with this. So I don't see it killing sales, considering how low the FPS is most of the time.

Ugh

Post by Ugh » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:59 am

It means nothing because the quality looks like crap and it's a laggy mess that can't be improved since streaming over N3DS wireless is a huge bottleneck. People that want good quality lagless video will get a capture card hard mod on their systems, end of story. Content creators don't want to use awful unreliable janky software.

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:31 pm

It means nothing because the quality looks like crap and it's a laggy mess that can't be improved since streaming over N3DS wireless is a huge bottleneck. People that want good quality lagless video will get a capture card hard mod on their systems, end of story. Content creators don't want to use awful unreliable janky software.
I'm not meaning to downplay capture cards, but you are absolutely wrong in many respects. The biggest defense against your complaint is that this project is very much a WIP. It is a very big step in creating quality content without a $200-$300 hard mod. The fact that they can get live video from a N3DS to a computer is enormous. Of course it's going to be unreliable because it's still in very early stages. It was released as a proof of concept, being able to capture video without the need for a capture card. Yes, a capture card is definitely the way to go currently, but don't down play how big of a deal this is.

Ugh

Post by Ugh » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:28 pm

Guest wrote:
I'm not meaning to downplay capture cards, but you are absolutely wrong in many respects. The biggest defense against your complaint is that this project is very much a WIP. It is a very big step in creating quality content without a $200-$300 hard mod. The fact that they can get live video from a N3DS to a computer is enormous. Of course it's going to be unreliable because it's still in very early stages. It was released as a proof of concept, being able to capture video without the need for a capture card. Yes, a capture card is definitely the way to go currently, but don't down play how big of a deal this is.
It literally can't be improved. NTR CFW is already trash and running this awful and unstable video capture on top of it doesn't do it any favors. You can't create quality content with something that doesn't provide quality in the first place. Get a hard mod for the stability and quality and people should already know by now that this is a product that can't be bought with birthday money.

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:52 am

Ugh wrote:
Guest wrote:
It literally can't be improved. NTR CFW is already trash and running this awful and unstable video capture on top of it doesn't do it any favors. You can't create quality content with something that doesn't provide quality in the first place. Get a hard mod for the stability and quality and people should already know by now that this is a product that can't be bought with birthday money.
You say this yet you offer no actual argument other than saying "it's bad."