Screen use

lleeoo2010

Re: Screen use

Post by lleeoo2010 » Wed May 25, 2016 3:27 pm

There's always going to be some kind of latency when using a capture device, and this is true for the 3DS capture card here as well. But it is honestly so minuscule, that I really don't notice it at all, and I have even looked at the 3DS side by side with my monitor and still can't really notice a difference. I hate any kind of input or latency lag, and usually can tell right away when there is a noticeable delay, so this card has really worked out well for me.

I hope that gives you an idea of the capture card's latency.

LVNeptune

Post by LVNeptune » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:48 pm

Chromatrope wrote:When you say no lag, do you mean 'it doesn't feel bad', or 'there is absolutely no latency difference between the 3DS and PC screens at all'? And your PC has influence on it? That seems pretty strange as I'd imagine the capture card works like a webcam where it grabs the visual feed, compresses it to send it through USB, which takes some time, and then your PC receives it. I'm incredibly picky regarding latency and own a 144hz monitor for PC gaming so any less than utterly miniscule amount of latency would kill me. I do have a pretty powerful PC so at least that can be taken out of the equation. (i5-3570k 4.2ghz, 8GB DDR3-1600, AMD R9 290).

I could of course look at the 3DS itself but I'd rather not, having to do so would be a dealbreaker for me, as I own an XL now and going back to staring at such a bizarrely small screen on a device that wastes such a ridiculous amount of potential screenspace would be awful. Of course there is the New 3DS XL card coming Soon™, but the New 3DS XL is considerably more expensive and I don't think I'd be able to afford that in the next few months or even half year.
Not sure what 144hz has to do with this. Max you will get is 60fps. The only latency is audio. It's offset by around 10-15ms unless you use a physical 3.5mm cable.

Chromatrope

Post by Chromatrope » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:15 am

LVNeptune wrote:Not sure what 144hz has to do with this. Max you will get is 60fps. The only latency is audio. It's offset by around 10-15ms unless you use a physical 3.5mm cable.
the only thing 144hz has to do with this is that I have an extremely high standard for how my games feel, and would not be satisfied with it having basically any amount of noticeable latency at all.

I'm hearing all sorts of people give wildly different answers (also in private chats and stuff), ranging from 'I have tried to tell but cannot' to 'there is very clear latency'.

At this point I think the only information of any use would be someone capturing 120fps video of their 3DS and monitor showing the 3DS at the same time, using a recent smartphone, and with the monitor actually being attached to a somewhat powerful PC.