Original DS + Capture Card?

April

Original DS + Capture Card?

Post by April » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:49 am

Hi,

I was looking to order a regular original DS (not 3DS) plus capture card, but I noticed it says they're sold out. Merki also doesn't seem to be selling any either (I got my 3DS capture card from him since I'm in the UK).

Are they sold out for good? Will they be back in stock at all? Is there another way I could get one?

Thanks!

desocietas

Re: Original DS + Capture Card?

Post by desocietas » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:06 am

Yeah, since the regular DS isn't being made anymore, Loopy used to find used DSes online to mod and sell. This took too much time for him, so now the best thing to do is find a used fat DS either on eBay or elsewhere (I got mine for about $25) and then send it to Loopy after purchasing his installation option.

cooroxd

Post by cooroxd » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:52 am

Rather than paying $150+ for ds capture card, why not use a ds emulator to play and record your gameplay?

desocietas

Post by desocietas » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:03 am

cooroxd wrote:Rather than paying $150+ for ds capture card, why not use a ds emulator to play and record your gameplay?
I personally paid a little under $100 total, including shipping, and personally love playing and showing off my DS and GBA collection. I know not everyone feels that way nor does everyone want to mess with the legality of ROMs, but I thought about $100 to try out capture card streaming was more than worth it for me.

April

Post by April » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:19 am

desocietas wrote:Yeah, since the regular DS isn't being made anymore, Loopy used to find used DSes online to mod and sell. This took too much time for him, so now the best thing to do is find a used fat DS either on eBay or elsewhere (I got mine for about $25) and then send it to Loopy after purchasing his installation option.
Ah okay, so he still does the installations. That's alright then, can definitely buy a DS myself and send it over. This might not be the correct place for it, but do you know if Merki does the installations too? It would just be cheaper to send it over to him since I'm in the UK. I should probably ask over on his forum, I guess.
cooroxd wrote:Rather than paying $150+ for ds capture card, why not use a ds emulator to play and record your gameplay?
I like having the physical systems there to play :) I play a lot of Pokemon and like shiny hunting, so I prefer having it all done on real systems and games rather than an emulator.

cooroxd

Post by cooroxd » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:52 am

April wrote:
desocietas wrote:Yeah, since the regular DS isn't being made anymore, Loopy used to find used DSes online to mod and sell. This took too much time for him, so now the best thing to do is find a used fat DS either on eBay or elsewhere (I got mine for about $25) and then send it to Loopy after purchasing his installation option.
Ah okay, so he still does the installations. That's alright then, can definitely buy a DS myself and send it over. This might not be the correct place for it, but do you know if Merki does the installations too? It would just be cheaper to send it over to him since I'm in the UK. I should probably ask over on his forum, I guess.
I like having the physical systems there to play :) I play a lot of Pokemon and like shiny hunting, so I prefer having it all done on real systems and games rather than an emulator.

If you're going to buy a capture card anyway, might as well buy a 3ds capture card. Have your cake and eat it too. With a 3ds, you can stream ds and 3ds games.

April

Post by April » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:03 am

cooroxd wrote:
April wrote:

If you're going to buy a capture card anyway, might as well buy a 3ds capture card. Have your cake and eat it too. With a 3ds, you can stream ds and 3ds games.
I actually already have a 3DS capture card, but I'd like a DS one too so I can play 3rd gen Pokemon games that aren't playable on a 3DS.

Nyaako

Post by Nyaako » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:11 am

You could just emulate Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald on PC.

April

Post by April » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:27 am

Nyaako wrote:You could just emulate Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald on PC.
I could, but when I shiny hunt I don't like using emulators. I have real copies of the 3rd gen games and would like to be able to play them on a capture card capable DS :)

cooroxd

Post by cooroxd » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:45 am

April wrote:
Nyaako wrote:You could just emulate Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald on PC.
I could, but when I shiny hunt I don't like using emulators. I have real copies of the 3rd gen games and would like to be able to play them on a capture card capable DS :)

I know you're probably not into this but if you hadn't update your 3ds to latest firmware, you can hack it and then install gba roms on to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5zImpYfYUs