Wireless Capture

Mysterious Reaper

Re: Wireless Capture

Post by Mysterious Reaper » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:52 pm

TheDeathryder wrote:I have just successfully modded a 3ds for wireless streaming. Using Pokemon Alpha Sapphire and a router currently in use by 5 other devices connecting the feed to my PC via USB wireless dongle, the video feed is acceptable. I'm going to set up a dedicated router tonight and record a few samples once I get everything optimized for streaming.
I probably have more than 5 devices connected to my router, but that's actually re-assuring if yours is working decently enough. I may consider wireless as an option.

I'll be interested to see the footage whilst you stream.

Thanks for keeping us updated.
I'm a UK Streamer who streams a variety of games on Twitch. If you're interested, please feel free to check my streams!

TheDeathryder

Post by TheDeathryder » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:33 am

Looks like there's going to be a delay. Having trouble with the router, it didn't dawn on me that I need a modem in my room to connect it to in order to get internet access through it and configure it. I'm not even sure I have a jack to hook up a modem in here :?

I'll get something figured out though. I'll be damned if I spent all that time modding the 3ds to quit this far in.

EDIT: Looks like I'm going to have to get an internal WiFi card for my PC so I get rid of the dongle I've been using. If I can ditch the dongle and connect to the 3ds to the PC via the WiFi card, then all should be well.

TheDeathryder

Post by TheDeathryder » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:25 am

I went ahead and made a demo with my current setup.

Hardware used:

Softmod 3ds
Router with 16 devices in use
10 year old WiFi dongle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyIQ6AhMTsI

TheDeathryder

Post by TheDeathryder » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:00 am

Just finished recording a demo with my upgraded setup, and the results are MUCH better. This demo shows both screens @ 90% using a router with 16 devices in use and an internal PC WiFi card with 300/900 simultaneous dual band transfer rate. I'll upload the video to YouTube as soon as it's done encoding.

TheDeathryder

Post by TheDeathryder » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:00 am

I did another video earlier using Mariokart 7 since it seems to be the one people have the most trouble streaming with good quality. It came out very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBi79x5KEck

pezoneden

Post by pezoneden » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:34 pm

How fast is your internet Deathstryder? Does any one know the recommended internet speed for streaming this way?

Mysterious Reaper

Post by Mysterious Reaper » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:24 am

Monster Hunter video seems to show some frame drops when not in loading screens but the Mario Kart one seems flawless. I barely notice anything, probably the bottom screen being a bit slower.

Looks good however. Did you stream with your setup? I'm slowing showing interest in this if you were doing this with 16 devices on your router.

And i'm also interested how fast in your internet? Mine here is 70Mbps max but I get probably 30-50Mbps on good days.
I'm a UK Streamer who streams a variety of games on Twitch. If you're interested, please feel free to check my streams!

TheDeathryder

Post by TheDeathryder » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:01 pm

Mysterious Reaper wrote: Monster Hunter video seems to show some frame drops when not in loading screens but the Mario Kart one seems flawless. I barely notice anything, probably the bottom screen being a bit slower.

Looks good however. Did you stream with your setup? I'm slowing showing interest in this if you were doing this with 16 devices on your router.

And i'm also interested how fast in your internet? Mine here is 70Mbps max but I get probably 30-50Mbps on good days.
I optimized the settings between when I made those videos. The nice thing about how this works is that it doesn't depend on your internet speed, but the data transfer rate of your router. I don't know the exact specs on our router, but I know my grandparents paid about $200 for it within the last year, so it's a decent quality one. The WiFi card I put into my computer ran $50 after express shipping and is a dual band with a transfer rate of 300Mbps/867Mbps. The internet signal feeds through the 5Ghz band where the 3ds feed goes through the 2.4Ghz band. I'll be making more videos over the next few days of various games, I'd have more uploaded already, but I've been dealing with some nuclear fallout from an organization I used to be affiliated with.

Edit: I also used a different recording program, I used OBS with that video since it's easier on my PC's memory than XSplit is. I noticed when using XSplit that I got some dropped frames because my PC is actually a bit underpowered to run it with only 2GB memory

Mysterious Reaper

Post by Mysterious Reaper » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:19 am

TheDeathryder wrote:
Mysterious Reaper wrote: Monster Hunter video seems to show some frame drops when not in loading screens but the Mario Kart one seems flawless. I barely notice anything, probably the bottom screen being a bit slower.

I optimized the settings between when I made those videos. The nice thing about how this works is that it doesn't depend on your internet speed, but the data transfer rate of your router. I don't know the exact specs on our router, but I know my grandparents paid about $200 for it within the last year, so it's a decent quality one. The WiFi card I put into my computer ran $50 after express shipping and is a dual band with a transfer rate of 300Mbps/867Mbps. The internet signal feeds through the 5Ghz band where the 3ds feed goes through the 2.4Ghz band. I'll be making more videos over the next few days of various games, I'd have more uploaded already, but I've been dealing with some nuclear fallout from an organization I used to be affiliated with.

Edit: I also used a different recording program, I used OBS with that video since it's easier on my PC's memory than XSplit is. I noticed when using XSplit that I got some dropped frames because my PC is actually a bit underpowered to run it with only 2GB memory
Ah I see. Well that's good to hear and glad you went into detail about what you did between those two videos and the overall setup. Our router is just one that comes with our Service Provider, can't say if it's decent or not (not always reliable but not sure how it would fair with this setup).

Also no problem at all, this is good evidence on how it's functioning and I appreciate you keep taking the time to update us for anyone else interested in this method as an alternative.