Streaming using Software installed on a new 3DSXL

Introvert Ant

Streaming using Software installed on a new 3DSXL

Post by Introvert Ant » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:05 pm

So while I am waiting for Loopy to have more boards up and going, I decided to try out the streaming software I've seen people use for their New 3DS XL's (note, this can only be done with the New 3DS's).

On my youtube channel, I am currently playing a Nuzlocke run of Pokemon Moon using the streaming software. Click below to visit (and subscribe of course!)

If you are interested in how to do this yourselves, I learned with the help of the following resources:

3DS NTR-CFW Forum Post

There is also a Discord channel named: Nintendo Homebrew that helped me with I had issues.

Here are some thoughts after spending quite a bit of time streaming from my 3DS:

It's good, but not the best.
I still plan on getting a capture card installed from Loopy as there are some limitations with streaming, namely some nasty lag and slowdown that sometimes occurs due to your network not being great or other reasons. Things that affect lag and frame rate loss can be the time of day that you stream (alot of people on network can slow it down) or even proximity to your router. If you do this and you want to record gameplay for other to watch, I would suggest being as close to your router as possible as well as recording during times of the night when not alot of people are on.

Secondly, even with the discord help and the 3DS NTF forum instructions, I found the process to be extremely complicated. There is a chance to brick your 3DS if you do not following the instructions correctly or do something wrong at a CERTAIN point of the process. That is sorta scary too.

But otherwise it works and the video quality isn't TOO bad. It is acceptable in my eyes and there are ways to improve the quality a bit. Also, it seems that 3DS streaming has come a long way in improving the quality. It seems that they are finding ways to get the picture quality up as time goes on.