Mac version?

poketon96

Mac version?

Post by poketon96 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:24 pm

I have been really intrested in getting this capture card for my LP YT Channel: Poketon96

It would be awesome to record DS and 3DS games, but the thing is, there is no Mac version of the software. Will there ever be a Mac version released? I REALLY NEED IT!

mixt

Re: Mac version?

Post by mixt » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:55 am

From what I've heard from loopy before, the program uses Windows API. A lot of Video For Windows (VFW) in particular. So a Mac port wouldn't be easy and I don't see it on the horizon unless loopy gets some help with it.

Unfortunately while I do know some programming, I know very little about Macs. So even if I did poke around in the source code I wouldn't be able to make a Mac version unless I managed to make it completely OS neutral by some miracle.

MKGirlism

Post by MKGirlism » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:46 am

Cross-platform isn't really easy, but it's still no miracle.
I remember how my Software Architecture and Design teacher even managed to make his Nintendo DS game natively running on a PC, without changing his Code at all.
All he did, was make his game use no single (platform-specific) Header file.

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:07 pm

Related topic.
Adding Mac support hasn't been a priority. I don't have a Mac or any Mac programming experience. Instead of trying to port the capture app, maybe it would be easier adding 3ds capture to a webcam driver?

poketon96

Post by poketon96 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:25 pm

Would that work?

MKGirlism

Post by MKGirlism » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:18 pm

Bro and I are already trying to port the App to Mac, but we're first going slowly through the Code, then we try to make it use some MP4 API (instead of Video For Windows), and use OpenGL (instead of DirectX).

Meanwhile, we had it successfully working on DirectX 9 (the App runs on 8), there aren't really spectacular differences, but it's still nice to see it works.

poketon96

Post by poketon96 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:54 am

Cool. Let me know how that goes :)

mixt

Post by mixt » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:16 am

MKGirlism wrote:Cross-platform isn't really easy, but it's still no miracle.
I remember how my Software Architecture and Design teacher even managed to make his Nintendo DS game natively running on a PC, without changing his Code at all.
Yes, but that is from the ground up. If you have code that relies on platform specific headers then to make it cross-platform you need to rework your code's logic until you can remove those headers; and that is an entirely different game. Depending on the code it can be easier to start over from scratch, especially if true cross-platform is not actually possible and you need to swap for a header on the new platform.

Though the "by a miracle" comment was more about my ability to tackle the project. A good programmer could still do it without too much trouble, but I'm still fairly noobish.

poketon96

Post by poketon96 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:39 pm

mixt wrote:
MKGirlism wrote:Cross-platform isn't really easy, but it's still no miracle.
Yes, but that is from the ground up. If you have code that relies on platform specific headers then to make it cross-platform you need to rework your code's logic until you can remove those headers; and that is an entirely different game. Depending on the code it can be easier to start over from scratch, especially if true cross-platform is not actually possible and you need to swap for a header on the new platform.

Though the "by a miracle" comment was more about my ability to tackle the project. A good programmer could still do it without too much trouble, but I'm still fairly noobish.
So what you're saying is, that it is possible to make the program for Mac? And MKGirlism, you are working on porting it now?

MKGirlism

Post by MKGirlism » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:29 pm

Not right now, as I first want to make it Mac compatible first.
To accomplish it, I need to replace a few stuff, like Video for Windows must become some MP4 API (and I can't find a decent one), and DirectX needs to become OpenGL.
If that's done, then I'll port it to OS X, as DirectX and VFW are the stuff a Mac doesn't understand.