Mac version?

TRS

Re: Mac version?

Post by TRS » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:12 am

The "roughly double size" thing was based on a thing I was trying with frame blending. I recorded a minute of about the same footage using Lagarith at both 30 and 60 FPS and the 60 FPS video was approximately double the size.

But this could certainly change depending on the codec. I've never recorded directly to H264 before.

scott

Post by scott » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:55 pm

Smooch wrote:I can't help but feel this is going really off topic... Maybe you should talk about this in a different thread...

Meanwhile I feel that the Mac application is getting really nice. I do need to discuss a few things with Loopy, but he did not reply yet so you will have to wait...

Some highlights of currently (partially) implemented features:
  • -Video recording to MPEG4 using H264 (Supported format for basically any Mac application that deals with video) in different quality levels.
    -Live resizing
    -Screenshot taking (either PNG or JPEG)
    -Full screen mode
    -Different layouts (also live switching of layouts)
    -Support for custom layout plugins (Useful when you want to add graphics for a video that you record for a YouTube channel, for instance)
    -Other small details (Things you may take for granted, but really aren't. For instance, allowing for customizability through preferences. Those take up a lot of time to do in my experience.)
Features that need to be implemented/done before release:
  • -Full hardware support (This sounds a bit vague, but I'll spare the details)
    -Audio recording in the video (started work on that, I record audio, but I cannot combine it with the video yet)
    -Different FPS options (currently only 60fps, but it is rather hard to add others because of timing)
    -HUD for full screen mode
    -Final testing (I may ask people here to help)
It is currently active in development, so it should not take too long anymore. It depends a bit on when Loopy responds to my private messages. If that happens then I can give you a release date.

My question to you now is, what amount of FPS do you currently use in the windows version or would you like to have? If you feel that having only an option for 60fps is enough then it reduces the amount of work I have to put into it. My question is basically whether this should be a high priority.
Aw man, I cannot wait for this Mac version. So glad this isn't just some shitty Wine port or something. Any idea when you might be ready to release? (Maybe even just as a beta to the people who use this forum?)

raphael

Post by raphael » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:10 pm

Mac isn't my territory, but I suggest including the Lagarith codec too. Unlike h264, there is no quality loss when encoding to Lagarith (Unless you can find an h264 codec which can both encode and decode losslessly in RGB mode without blowing up).

Smooch

Post by Smooch » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:33 pm

raphael wrote:... including the Lagarith codec too
Well, as you stated, Mac isn't your territory. Every Mac application that handles video wants H264 basically, so adding a codec that is completely unknown to me seems out of the picture. Especially considering you won't be using it.

poketon96

Post by poketon96 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:37 pm

Smooch wrote:
raphael wrote:... including the Lagarith codec too
Well, as you stated, Mac isn't your territory. Every Mac application that handles video wants H264 basically, so adding a codec that is completely unknown to me seems out of the picture. Especially considering you won't be using it.
What about x264?

Smooch

Post by Smooch » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:43 pm

poketon96 wrote:What about x264?
That is a library that encodes into H264... ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X264 )

Smooch

Post by Smooch » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:11 am

I now have full hardware support. Beta testing begins on 23rd of June and will hopefully last about a week. A first version will be released on 30th of June.

Please let me know if you want to join testing.

Please know that if you use the beta version, a recording may be lost due to bugs (among other problems), although it is very stable at the moment.

If you do beta test, then I request that you try out all features and the combination of features. Also tell me what Mac you are using. You will be required to run at least Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

I will limit the amount of people at beta testing if too many people like to join.

poketon96

Post by poketon96 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:39 pm

Smooch wrote:I now have full hardware support. Beta testing begins on 23rd of June and will hopefully last about a week. A first version will be released on 30th of June.

Please let me know if you want to join testing.

Please know that if you use the beta version, a recording may be lost due to bugs (among other problems), although it is very stable at the moment.

If you do beta test, then I request that you try out all features and the combination of features. Also tell me what Mac you are using. You will be required to run at least Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

I will limit the amount of people at beta testing if too many people like to join.
I would like to help out since I started this whole topic :P I'm on OS X 10.8.3 (newest version)

MKGirlism

Post by MKGirlism » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:07 pm

I'm in for the Beta Test.
I'm using:
(I think OS X 10.9 will be announced next week, so I'll get it, as it becomes available to Apple Developers.)

MKGirlism

Post by MKGirlism » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:19 am

I've just installed OS X 10.9, so I guess it's the perfect Testing Environment, to see the App runs well, before it actually releases.