International Shipping and 3ds Battery Questions

KeiruKeiru

International Shipping and 3ds Battery Questions

Post by KeiruKeiru » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:53 am

When I asked about shipping my 3ds (from Canada) to the US, I was told that the battery would have to be removed from the unit before shipping it. Therefore, I have two questions:

1) Do you need the 3ds battery when installing the capture board?

2) Is it possible to reinstall the battery after the capture board have been installed?

For clarity, the battery is the original battery the 3ds is sold with.

NoDice

Re: International Shipping and 3ds Battery Questions

Post by NoDice » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:33 pm

KeiruKeiru wrote:When I asked about shipping my 3ds (from Canada) to the US, I was told that the battery would have to be removed from the unit before shipping it. Therefore, I have two questions:

1) Do you need the 3ds battery when installing the capture board?

2) Is it possible to reinstall the battery after the capture board have been installed?

For clarity, the battery is the original battery the 3ds is sold with.
As far as I know, you should include the battery with the 3DS when you ship it. Once the capture board is installed it is very difficult to get the battery out, and IIRC you have to disconnect the capture board to do it, which you dont want to do.

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:30 pm

If you don't send a battery, I'd return it partially installed and let you finish the job.

Shipping batteries has never been a problem before. Just tell them there's no battery and send it anyway :P

KeiruKeiru

Post by KeiruKeiru » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:22 pm

loopy wrote:If you don't send a battery, I'd return it partially installed and let you finish the job.

Shipping batteries has never been a problem before. Just tell them there's no battery and send it anyway :P
What would the remainder of the job entail?

How have you dealt with international shipping prior to this? Are the laws for the international shipping of batteries are different in the US?

Alternatively could I remove the battery from my 3ds, ship it, buy a replacement battery (from Amazon, eBay, etc.) and ship the replacement battery to loopy? I know it seems a little convoluted but it might be safer. It would be horrible if the device was confiscated because of the battery.

Minimit

Post by Minimit » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:27 pm

KeiruKeiru wrote:What would the remainder of the job entail?

How have you dealt with international shipping prior to this? Are the laws for the international shipping of batteries are different in the US?

Alternatively could I remove the battery from my 3ds, ship it, buy a replacement battery (from Amazon, eBay, etc.) and ship the replacement battery to loopy? I know it seems a little convoluted but it might be safer. It would be horrible if the device was confiscated because of the battery.
The remainder would be securing the board to the back to the 3DS and connecting the ribbon cable into place.

KeiruKeiru

Post by KeiruKeiru » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:35 pm

Minimit wrote:
KeiruKeiru wrote:What would the remainder of the job entail?

The remainder would be securing the board to the back to the 3DS and connecting the ribbon cable into place.

In all likelihood this is probably a stupid question but, how is the board secured to the back of the 3ds? Super glue? I've seen the installation images on the board (http://3dscapture.com/install/index.html) so I'm assuming that the battery is returned to its slot before aligning the board with the case cover's square and securing it.

Minimit

Post by Minimit » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:37 pm

I believe it is some 3M adhesive that sticks to the back of the board and to the 3DS.

KeiruKeiru

Post by KeiruKeiru » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:40 pm

Minimit wrote:I believe it is some 3M adhesive that sticks to the back of the board and to the 3DS.
OK, I managed to find another picture showing the back of the capture card (for anyone that's interested: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=584).

Does the ribbon cable just click into place? If so, then completing the installation sounds simple enough.

Minimit

Post by Minimit » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:13 pm

There is a black tab on the connector that secures the cable into place. It is not a hard thing to do so you should not have a hard time with it.

KeiruKeiru

Post by KeiruKeiru » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:45 pm

Alright, looks like I'll have to go buy the appropriate screwdriver and remove the battery before I can ship it.

Should I leave a note with the unit asking for the partial installation or is sending the partially installed unit the default when there's no battery?