Black Screen After Installation

loopy
Site Admin

Re: Black Screen After Installation

Post by loopy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:17 am

Wiltshire wrote:Okay! I made a break through! I got the bottom screen to work! However the top screen is random noise. I have a few screenshots below to the what I'm describing. There is another problem, you'll notice that the colour is yellow instead of white. Now if I press on the slot for the ribbon cable the colour somewhat clears up. This may be because of the cracked board slot.... that's what I'm afraid of.
This is why I discourage self-installs :|
Could be the connector, or bad soldering, or both. I can send you a replacement board+cable, or just fix the 3DS for you if you want to send it in.

Wiltshire

Post by Wiltshire » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:31 pm

loopy wrote:
Guest wrote:Well, I bought mine preinstalled and when open up the application it's a black screen. I don't know what to do.
Same question I asked Wiltshire: Are you sure the driver is installed ok? Check the Device Manager and make sure everything looks normal there.
Loopy the cracked board is producing the wrong colours. Is there anything I can do about that? If not I will buy another install kit from you. I'm actually debating on sending you my 3ds as well.

m00sician

Post by m00sician » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:17 am

I'm kinda having the same problem.

After the initial installation I just got a black picture, so I resoldered everything and then still, black.
I then applied pressure to the white slot the cable goes into and I get a picture.

As soon as I let go and my pressure starts to vary the picture goes back to black or just starts fizzling around.

Is this area somewhat loose and doen't really grab the cable? I can't really see any damage on it, so I'm a bit confused of what could be wrong because I'm sure I've soldered it correctly, otherwise I wouldn't get a picture I guess.

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:36 am

There's a little black tab on the connector that needs to be pushed down, did you do that? The cable shouldn't be loose.

m00sician

Post by m00sician » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:40 pm

Sorry for the superlate answer, I was pretty busy the last few days!

Yes, I pushed it down. Upon further inspection I saw that there was a small rip here:
http://i.imgur.com/LhJqn.jpg

I also found out that if I press just this section down
http://i.imgur.com/g44TM.jpg

I get a constant picture. The bottom screen is still messed up though and I don't know if it's because I messed one solder point up or if it's because of the small rip. I kinda build my way around the black screen by just taping a small tinball onto the section that needs to be pressed down so theres the constant bit of pressure it needs to show a picture and so far I had no further problems. Top screen works fine, bottom screen has a lack of color depth, but works fine otherwise.

GweiTheLeaf

Post by GweiTheLeaf » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:23 am

Hi, I sort of have the same problem.

I've been seeing some issues with some games, such as freezing and crashing.

I bought a used Resident Evil Revelations and encountered a number of glitches. When I quit from the game, the game crashes to the home screen of the 3DS, same thing happens when I pick restart, or if I died and restart from the death screen. This happens both when I have it plugged in and don't have it plugged in my computer.

I returned the used game, and got a brand new unused copy, the same issues occur.

Also, sometimes I see a blue hashed bar on the top screen during the crashes.

Then there were the occasional glitches with my DS games, just out and out freezes. They occur rarely, but they do happen, and I haven't had any problems with DS games before.

I think it's the capture board.

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:18 am

m00sician wrote:Sorry for the superlate answer, I was pretty busy the last few days!

Yes, I pushed it down. Upon further inspection I saw that there was a small rip here:
http://i.imgur.com/LhJqn.jpg

I also found out that if I press just this section down
http://i.imgur.com/g44TM.jpg

I get a constant picture. The bottom screen is still messed up though and I don't know if it's because I messed one solder point up or if it's because of the small rip. I kinda build my way around the black screen by just taping a small tinball onto the section that needs to be pressed down so theres the constant bit of pressure it needs to show a picture and so far I had no further problems. Top screen works fine, bottom screen has a lack of color depth, but works fine otherwise.
I can't see much from that picture. If it's just a small split, I don't think that's the problem. I suspect there's one or more points not soldered down well.

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:29 am

GweiTheLeaf wrote:Hi, I sort of have the same problem.

I bought a used Resident Evil Revelations and encountered a number of glitches. When I quit from the game, the game crashes to the home screen of the 3DS, same thing happens when I pick restart, or if I died and restart from the death screen. This happens both when I have it plugged in and don't have it plugged in my computer.

I returned the used game, and got a brand new unused copy, the same issues occur.

Then there were the occasional glitches with my DS games, just out and out freezes. They occur rarely, but they do happen, and I haven't had any problems with DS games before.

Well, that's a first. It's possible, but seems unlikely to me.
Who did you buy the board from?
Did you send in your 3DS to have it installed, or buy it with a new 3DS?

GweiTheLeafChild

Post by GweiTheLeafChild » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:27 am

loopy wrote:
GweiTheLeaf wrote:Hi, I sort of have the same problem.

Well, that's a first. It's possible, but seems unlikely to me.
Who did you buy the board from?
Did you send in your 3DS to have it installed, or buy it with a new 3DS?
I bought an installation from you, sent in my 3DS a few weeks ago, and had it for a few weeks.

Here's a video of the issues I'm having, I encountered these before this part of the game, but it's especially worse here. It happens when it's not recording or plugged into my computer too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGbFTEVk ... e=youtu.be
I got a fresh, brand new RE Revelations and the same problems occur

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:48 am

You can try disconnecting the capture board from the 3DS. I doubt it'll make any difference though. After seeing your video it looks even less likely to be the board's fault to me. It seems to crash in the same places, always while it's loading game data. Looks more like a faulty cartridge slot to me. If you insist it's my fault though, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and replace the 3DS. Email me to work out the details.