How does the 3ds screen receive information

gusnstuf

How does the 3ds screen receive information

Post by gusnstuf » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:48 pm

Being as you guys are the only makers of the 3ds capture card now, I was wondering if you guys could explain to me how the 3ds screen receives it's information in both 2d and 3d, so I can try and make an adapter to allow my pc to use the 3ds screen for experimental purposes.

Blizzard_Fox

Re: How does the 3ds screen receive information

Post by Blizzard_Fox » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:49 pm

It doesn’t really send the information in 3D, but it slightly shifts on the capture software. The 3ds mod adds a ribbon cable that’s soldered on the motherboard that can transmit the screen data. Then they make their own boards that supports capturing the screens, and can be displayed similarly like an HDMI output with their software. I don’t really know how else to explain it then like that.

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:50 pm

https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Video_Capture as a starting point

The 3ds sends signals to the lcd like any other device sends to an lcd. I'd recommend trying it with something simplier like a gameboy advance first. You're going to need some kind of fpga to capture that much data. at 60fps. And then either outputting it to some hdmi or converting it to some usb output like loopy or katsukity did.

The capture cards don't use a ribbon cable. They use a flat flexible cable.

The device sets pins to bits for what color is outputted and uses vsync and hsync to say which row/column is being set and clock's to say when the bits are set

Be really good at soldering. The new 3ds is hard to solder onto. Even a gameboy advance is not easy to solder onto for a novice.

As far as 3d is concerned my guess is it has 2 sets of data it is sending it to for the top screen. Kind of like 2 screens. If that is the case you'd have to capture that much more data. And then combine them or maybe just ignore one set.

gusnstuf

Post by gusnstuf » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:15 pm

Guest wrote:https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Video_Capture as a starting point

The 3ds sends signals to the lcd like any other device sends to an lcd. I'd recommend trying it with something simplier like a gameboy advance first. You're going to need some kind of fpga to capture that much data. at 60fps. And then either outputting it to some hdmi or converting it to some usb output like loopy or katsukity did.

The capture cards don't use a ribbon cable. They use a flat flexible cable.

The device sets pins to bits for what color is outputted and uses vsync and hsync to say which row/column is being set and clock's to say when the bits are set

Be really good at soldering. The new 3ds is hard to solder onto. Even a gameboy advance is not easy to solder onto for a novice.

As far as 3d is concerned my guess is it has 2 sets of data it is sending it to for the top screen. Kind of like 2 screens. If that is the case you'd have to capture that much more data. And then combine them or maybe just ignore one set.
I was thinking more of sending information from my pc to a 3ds screen for use as a display, I have the screen on it's own without the 3ds itself. and although I think the 3d brew page is helpful, it doesn't fit the purpose I'm using the information for

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:07 pm

It's still going to be the same information, but one is the receiver and one is the sender. The harder part might be how you connect the lcd to your pc. The flat flexible cable is very tiny. Do you have some kind of adapter? You're going to need some device on the pc that also connects to the lcd. The lcd is very low resolution and a modern graphics card probably won't go that low. If you're just wanting to learn how to connect an lcd to a device then this site is not any better than any other maker site, like adafruit or just youtube just for the basics. And then if you want to add the 3d effect of the 3ds screen it is the same concept, but think of it as two screens in one. Half of the display is displayed on one half and half on the other half. Like the odd numbered lines on the right and the even numbered lines on the left. Your software will decide what information to send to each half. But you're really going to have a lot of effort just connecting the hardware to your pc. You will need to build some flat flexible cable to some breakout device just to connect it to your video out device which you will need to make as well. If you just want to repurpose some unsued hardware, it is going to cost you a lot of time and money. If you want to learn how it works start with a non 3d lcd.