Sound problem (Picks up every sound on my computer)

Fawfulthegreat64

Sound problem (Picks up every sound on my computer)

Post by Fawfulthegreat64 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:21 am

I'm using "Stereo mix" for my sound as that's the only way I could get sound that wasn't glitched in recordings.

Now, this is fine and good, but there's a couple issues with it. First of all, when I record my LPs, I obviously talk into a mic. If my computer volume is always up, then it will be picked up by the mic, resulting in nasty audio when editing the video. But this particular problem can be worked around by using headphones.

However, the other problem is that occasionally my computer makes noise from other applications, sometimes unwanted popups (especially iTunes' "please update me" thing which I am not sure if it makes noise or not because it always appears when I'm away and is waiting for me to come back) I never know when my computer will make noise, it's not a perfect computer. However this is all picked up by 3DS capture when audio is set to stereo mix. Is there a way to record 3DS using the normal program the same way I would use Elgato to record GCN and Wii games? It plays the audio fine so why can't it simply record what it puts out?

I would just use an audio jack, but then I'd have to use Audacity to record from it, and I'm already using that to record my voice. I don't want to set up three different windows for a recording session.

Soniktts

Re: Sound problem (Picks up every sound on my computer)

Post by Soniktts » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:13 pm

Unfortunately, most sound cards are built so you cannot split audio. I was actually discussing this with someone who works uses sound software for his job the other day. Unless you mute the program either by closing it or disabling sounds, you will not be able to split your computer to how you want. Everything will be picked up otherwise.

lokistarwind

Post by lokistarwind » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:48 am

You might want to look into the cause of the updates and disable them. I believe there might be settings where you can mute notifications on your computer. A simple idea might be to turn off the wifi since most software updates require it. Aside, from that, there is not much you can do. Optimizing your set up is important.

LVNeptune

Post by LVNeptune » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:11 pm

Use the Windows mixer and mute everything else.