Audio recording out of phase

Myria

Audio recording out of phase

Post by Myria » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:32 pm

I made a Loopy capture recording of the Gameboy Advance game Infinity running on the 3DS, and we noticed that the recording was "out of phase". As the musician who composed this game explained it to me after he watched the recording, the capture card seems to be inverting the polarity of the sound in one ear. When the two channels are out of phase, it causes the human brain to believe that the sound is surrounding the head, making certain parts of the music sound weird.

An example is here: https://youtu.be/9--_ptNAfvM?t=323

I can hear that effect with the capture from PC, but not when plugging the same headphones into my 3DS directly.

If this is a hardware defect or incorrect wiring within the 3DS, we believe that it could be worked around in software by artificially negating the broken channel after capturing.

Let me know if you want a recording from the microphone jack and from the capture software to compare audio tracks.

Myria

Re: Audio recording out of phase

Post by Myria » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:40 pm

This might actually just be a problem with the 3DS's surround sound mode. I'll need to make several recordings of various combinations to know for sure.