Some suggestions

Stikku

Some suggestions

Post by Stikku » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:37 am

1. Price is extreme (twice the price of the 3ds!?). Consider reducing the price.
1a. Sell an "assembly kit" option at an even more reduced cost, for those who are even tighter on money or tech-savvy enough to take it on as a hobby project.
1b. Sell a "warranty" option, for those who are willing but skeptic to send in their own 3DS. Price includes most premium shipping and 30-day free replacement to insure reliable installation of device.

2. Provide software that will recognize it as a capture device much like a webcam would.
2a. Standalone capture software should always be low-end, low-consumption software. Consider improving the performance and compatibility to dissuade suspicions of malicious intent. The term "capture" is not inherently intended to directly record, convert, and store all streaming video feeds. Any secondary software can do that at no expense to you or your customer's processing speed.

3. Write more about your device and services. Website is very barren of information and legitimacy.

4. Reduce the price.

happy holidays and best regards

loopy
Site Admin

Re: Some suggestions

Post by loopy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:23 am

1. The price will drop when orders slow down. I don't know when that will be, maybe in a month or two. I used to offer an "assembly kit" but I stopped because too many people had trouble installing it. Most of them were returned and I had to install them myself anyway. If you want one, email me. Although there isn't a stated warranty on the website, I will repair or replace your 3DS if something goes wrong with the installation. I've sent out well over a hundred systems and only a couple have come back for repairs, so the risk is fairly small.

2. Working on it..

3. What information do you think is missing?

MKGirlism

Post by MKGirlism » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:27 pm

Wow, for only 4 points, it's a hell lot of suggestions, mostly the 'legal issue' suggestions.

mixt

Post by mixt » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:38 am

Stikku wrote:The term "capture" is not inherently intended to directly record, convert, and store all streaming video feeds. Any secondary software can do that at no expense to you or your customer's processing speed.
I would like to point out that, that is exactly how I use it and I would prefer to keep it all in the program like it is now. It would be counter productive for those that are intending to save to a file to open a new program with more processing threads to handle the incoming stream. So if it is important to create a version that only frame-serves, please consider keeping the current version around.

On the topic of suggestions though, would it be doable to allow a user setting to allocate a certain amount of computer RAM to buffer the frames? I'm not sure if you are using the PC RAM to buffer at all or if only the active frame is in RAM, but I know that you keep a small frame buffer in the card's memory and one way or another that all needs to end up in the PC's RAM under normal operation. So expanding that space could improve stability. (I've got some idea on how to do that, but I don't want to go on a rant and tell you how to do your job / tell you stuff you likely already know better than I do)

Kazo

Post by Kazo » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:02 pm

I would like to see vsync option for the preview window. I often notice this jittering line that scrolls down the screen. It seems nonexistent in recordings though. Also It would be cool if the user can easily set the window size and be able to use a nearest neighbor resizing filter.