3dscapture.com

Support Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:51 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:26 am 

Hey Loopy, just got my GC mod installed by Gummo back today and it works wonderfully except for one tiny issue. It seems, for whatever reason, when I have the lower case screwed in, it seems that unused portions of the touch screen are picking up the inputs for both the start and select buttons. However, when the case is not screwed in, it works fine. I'm assuming when it gets screwed in, wires get pushed together and possibly the ends make a connection. Just to make sue I'm clear, when it's not working, what is happening is the start and select buttons do nothing on both the controller and the 3DS but some portions of the touch screen when pressed perform the function of the start and select button. Any idea where you could pinpoint this problem to?

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:24 am 

It sounds like there are untrimmed leads under the board where he soldered. I had a similar issue when I installed my own as the back of the touchscreen is metallic. If you are comfortable with opening your 3DS you could put some tape over the solder joints to fix the issue.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:45 am 

So would you say it's the joints on the 3DS motherboard or the joints on the board used for the mod? You're saying that tape should be applied directly to the backside motherboard, over the joints that are giving me issues? Or would it be better to put the tape on the back of the lower LCD?

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:29 am 

Joints that were soldered on the motherboard, not the controller mod. You only need to tape up the joints that look like they're sticking up out of the board too much. I suppose you could also apply the tape to the back of the touchscreen like you mentioned so long as it is directly over the solder joint. You'll have to unscrew the case, unplug all of the ribbon cables, unscrew the screws in the motherboard, and flip the motherboard over to get to the area you need to get into.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:50 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds like something is shorted inside or not connected well. I'd talk to gummo and tell him what's wrong with it.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:04 pm 

And this would most likely be a connection problem on the motherboard, not the controller board, correct?

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:47 am 

Seems that the tape seemed to do the trick. I think the TP81 joint was sticking out enough to affect it. Thanks for the help

Report this post