Wireless Capture

TheDeathryder

Wireless Capture

Post by TheDeathryder » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:19 pm

With Loopy being sold out I've been doing some research and came across a method to capture video wirelessly from the new model 3ds by modifying the firmware. Have any of y'all used this method before? If so, how was the video quality?

Mysterious Reaper

Re: Wireless Capture

Post by Mysterious Reaper » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:09 pm

TheDeathryder wrote:With Loopy being sold out I've been doing some research and came across a method to capture video wirelessly from the new model 3ds by modifying the firmware. Have any of y'all used this method before? If so, how was the video quality?
I haven't used this, however I have been reading into some stuff on it. Some people put a piece of software which allows you to do it wirelessly, whilst another (I believe someone also mentioned on this board before) is dependent on a firmware update. Both are reliant on your wireless connection, if you have a lot of devices/users on your router, it wouldn't be ideal for you to get.

Sorry I can't offer experiences, only research which you probably already discovered yourself. Maybe someone else can provide more concrete information.
I'm a UK Streamer who streams a variety of games on Twitch. If you're interested, please feel free to check my streams!

TheDeathryder

Post by TheDeathryder » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:59 am

Mysterious Reaper wrote: I haven't used this, however I have been reading into some stuff on it. Some people put a piece of software which allows you to do it wirelessly, whilst another (I believe someone also mentioned on this board before) is dependent on a firmware update. Both are reliant on your wireless connection, if you have a lot of devices/users on your router, it wouldn't be ideal for you to get.

Sorry I can't offer experiences, only research which you probably already discovered yourself. Maybe someone else can provide more concrete information.
With the help of a few others, I've figured out how to modify the firmware to do this. I'm thinking I'll go ahead and try it, and if its quality isn't ideal, I'll just restore the factory settings and have a card put on it once Loopy has his new design on the market. At the hours that I'd be recording, I'm the only person using the router, so I think it'll do ok. Worst case scenario, I have an extra router that I could set up as a dedicated router. I'll report back in this thread once I get it all ready, not sure how long it'll take me to get the new model 3ds though since they're sold out locally.

apo_tv

Post by apo_tv » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:35 pm

you need an old firmware to be able to do it. 9.x.

TheDeathryder

Post by TheDeathryder » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:55 pm

apo_tv wrote:you need an old firmware to be able to do it. 9.x.
Yep, 9.0 and 9.2 are compatible. A new model 3ds comes out of the box with 10.x and can be downgraded from there. 11.x and up require a physical modification right now in order to downgrade the firmware, which I am avoiding.

Mysterious Reaper

Post by Mysterious Reaper » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:03 pm

TheDeathryder wrote: With the help of a few others, I've figured out how to modify the firmware to do this. I'm thinking I'll go ahead and try it, and if its quality isn't ideal, I'll just restore the factory settings and have a card put on it once Loopy has his new design on the market. At the hours that I'd be recording, I'm the only person using the router, so I think it'll do ok. Worst case scenario, I have an extra router that I could set up as a dedicated router. I'll report back in this thread once I get it all ready, not sure how long it'll take me to get the new model 3ds though since they're sold out locally.
I wish you luck, definitely come back and let us know because some would definitely benefit from it. As I mentioned I live in a household where 3 other people use our router, which means I wouldn't have a solid wireless connection to do this. I'll have to wait for Loopy's cards, which isn't an issue.

I hope you're successful regardless.
I'm a UK Streamer who streams a variety of games on Twitch. If you're interested, please feel free to check my streams!

schizox

Post by schizox » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:17 pm

Quality is good, don't think it's better than a hardware modded capture card but hey, it works. Do a youtube search for "NTR streaming" and see the quality.
It isn't perfect and afaik it will no longer be updated since the project was "abandoned". ONly works with the new 3ds models, if interested go to reddit /r/3dshacks for info on how to modify your console and setting things up
https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comme ... e_edition/
https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comme ... stream_to/

But the way i see it, if you are going to really going to be serious about streaming, wait out for loopy to restock, I've been waiting out for loopy to sell the new 3ds(xl) or 2ds capture cards

TheDeathryder

Post by TheDeathryder » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:25 am

schizox wrote:Quality is good, don't think it's better than a hardware modded capture card but hey, it works. Do a youtube search for "NTR streaming" and see the quality.
It isn't perfect and afaik it will no longer be updated since the project was "abandoned". ONly works with the new 3ds models, if interested go to reddit /r/3dshacks for info on how to modify your console and setting things up
https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comme ... e_edition/
https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comme ... stream_to/

But the way i see it, if you are going to really going to be serious about streaming, wait out for loopy to restock, I've been waiting out for loopy to sell the new 3ds(xl) or 2ds capture cards
I'll likely have Loopy put a card on one either way, I just want to be sure that I have something available when Pokemon Sun/Moon drop.

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:05 pm

The wireless capture looks bad and 60fps games are dropped frames.

TheDeathryder

Post by TheDeathryder » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:46 pm

I have just successfully modded a 3ds for wireless streaming. Using Pokemon Alpha Sapphire and a router currently in use by 5 other devices connecting the feed to my PC via USB wireless dongle, the video feed is acceptable. I'm going to set up a dedicated router tonight and record a few samples once I get everything optimized for streaming.