Black/Blank Capture Screen

Halader

Black/Blank Capture Screen

Post by Halader » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:41 am

I originally used the 3DS capture card a few years ago, and I haven't used it recently. When I tried using it today, the capture software just gave me a black screen. Additionally, I believe that the 3DS capture card does not show up on my Device Manager (And yes, it was plugged in and the 3DS was turned on when I was trying this).

This is what I see: http://imgur.com/a/4vQCd

The 3DS capture was originally tried on another computer, and the computer was restarted, still no luck. Then I tried it on my own computer, tried redoing the drivers a few times, and I tried restarting my computer, and the same result each time. Tried using 2 different USB cables. Tried using USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports, neither worked.

From what I saw on some other threads from a few years ago, the USB port may be worn out? That sounds like something that would happen from a lot of use, and I haven't used it much, but maybe that's me just not understanding? Is there any way for me to check if it needs to be fixed/replaced? Are there any other things I can try to troubleshoot it? Is there some firmware update I need to do or something? I couldn't find anything else after searching for a while. Thanks for the help.

[Edit: And yes, I ordered it from here.]

loopy
Site Admin

Re: Black/Blank Capture Screen

Post by loopy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:36 pm

If your computer doesn't see it at all, it's a connection problem (not driver or firmware). It should show up in Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus devices as either "3DS Capture" or "Winusb device". Or unknown device, if you need the driver installed.

Usually that means the USB connector is coming loose or worn out, or maybe a cable problem (probably not in your case, since you tried 2 already). I suppose some other component on the board could be bad but that's less likely. Wiggle the cable and see if anything happens? I'll take a look at it if you want to send it back.

Halader

Post by Halader » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:39 pm

Thanks for the reply. I just tried wiggling the cord/connector again, and still nothing. I'll mail it to you in a couple weeks (I want to have it with me for PAX next weekend). Thanks for being willing to take a look at it.

Halader

Post by Halader » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:33 pm

Ok, I mailed it to you. Thanks.

Halader

Post by Halader » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:38 pm

I got it back today and plugged it in and it works. Thanks for fixing it!