Is a flucuating FPS normal?

ENunn

Re: Is a flucuating FPS normal?

Post by ENunn » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:47 am

sorry to keep y'all hanging lol
montejeu wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:19 pm
Sorry I meant encoder. But your CPU is more than enough to handle the encoding for such a small resolution.
yeah tried every encoder under the sun: magicyuv, x264vfw, lagarith, utvideo, etc etc
montejeu wrote:
I know using different usb cables have caused a large variation in charging time so I am guessing it could do the same thing for data transfer speed.
just tried multiple cables, doesn't fix anything
montejeu wrote:
Service to consider disabling might firewall, anti virus, real time encryption (might not be plausible to disable). Stuff that might hog up CPU cycles. Open up the task manager and see if your computer is not idle when you're not doing anything.
its not even using any cpu when idle or recording, i disabled antivirus and firewall, same problem
montejeu wrote:
Try updating all of the drivers? Look to see if there are newer drivers not just listed in windows update, but video/usb drivers from the manufacturer of the hw. Possibly downgrading the driver as well.
everything's updated
montejeu wrote:
Just to eliminate your gaming console ask to borrow someone with a mac so you would be not using a) your hw and b) windows and see if the problem still exists. I think there is a mac version of the sw someone made?
sorry its not possible right now
loopy wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:29 pm
Can you see it skipping in the display window or just the .avi output? Is it only recording that you're having issues with? Can you see it dropping frames when recording is stopped?
its smooth until i start recording, then both the preview and avi output is choppy. preview stops being choppy when i stop recoridng. viewing is fine, but on my laptop i have that stupid flashing white screen error unless i have obs and/or chrome open.

i don't get how getting a solid framerate is so difficult, my hardware is more than enough to handle it

ENunn

Post by ENunn » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:12 pm

still having no luck with fixing it :|

OrbitalMike

Post by OrbitalMike » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:39 am

I've had somewhat similar issues in the beginning, but I ended up just using another app to capture video. Either fraps, obs, or even xsplit. I think even nvidia shadow play can record it with the right set up.

I first started using the 3ds capture software with a laptop from 2010 with little issue. Even though the codecs shouldn't give you issues, you might want to try other apps to see if it helps in someway.

ENunn

Post by ENunn » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:32 am

OrbitalMike wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:39 am
I've had somewhat similar issues in the beginning, but I ended up just using another app to capture video. Either fraps, obs, or even xsplit. I think even nvidia shadow play can record it with the right set up.

I first started using the 3ds capture software with a laptop from 2010 with little issue. Even though the codecs shouldn't give you issues, you might want to try other apps to see if it helps in someway.
obs could probably work out, but now i've been resorting to use an old windows xp machine. works fine, stable 59.83 fps. guess its something with windows 10

ENunn

Post by ENunn » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:02 am

little update here: i've been using an xp machine to capture my ds and its been working well for me. i tried the obs method OrbitalMike suggested, however it's not for me. duplicate frames in the window = duplicate frames in the capture and i'm not sure how to get around that unfortunately.

ENunn

Post by ENunn » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:54 am

A year later, and there's apparently a new update to the software, version 3.1. Is there anything different with this version?

I'm glad that there's finally been an update to the software after a good 6 or so years, but sadly it has fixed absolutely nothing with my FPS problems. I've done pretty much everything I can think of to try and fix this glaring problem that IMO needs to be addressed. There's no reason why I have to use a Windows XP machine that is 10x less powerful than my Windows 10 PC to get a solid capture. I have tried everything, different USB ports, different codecs, different recording locations. Nothing has worked. I'm not going to use OBS. Duplicate frames in the preview window = duplicate frames in the capture.

EDIT: Apparently running the window with G-SYNC issue is the main culprit 🤷‍♂️ moving the window to a 60hz monitor or disabling G-SYNC is much better however still not perfect. In fact, I think it's encountering the "framerate slowly drops over time" issue, but I need to test more.

ENunn

Post by ENunn » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:47 pm

Still having this issue as of 8/7/21. Sub 59 FPS, and that's when I'm running as admin with WinXP compatibility mode. It's worse without it. Sorry if I sound like I'm bitching about this, but stuttering is a major concern for me. The closer it is to 60 even, the less it'll stutter. If it's recording at 59fps, that's a duplicate frame every second or so. It's awful. There was also apparently a driver update as well. No change. I'm frustrated. Is there any other fixes? Using OBS/other software to record is not a solution.

AngeloftheNight091

Post by AngeloftheNight091 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:43 pm

Look bud, At this point, you have to take into consideration the two devices being used. 1. Its your Computer that has the issue, or 2. The Capture Card.

Good way to rule this out is to use someone elses system to see if the issue persists. If it does, its the capture device. If it doesnt, it your pc.

In that case, its possible your USB Ports might not be receiving enough power to run all your devices and causing your FPS to Lag, when Your recording/using.

ENunn

Post by ENunn » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:27 pm

I'm sorry, but I honestly think it's something with the software optimization. I don't think it's a capture card issue, just the software. If a 15 year old Windows XP computer captures better than a PC built in 2019 with an 8700k, RTX 2060, and 64GB of RAM, then there's something up with the software. Tried multiple codecs, USB ports, nothing. My PC is fine. It's incredibly frustrating.

AngeloftheNight091

Post by AngeloftheNight091 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:32 pm

I see what your saying, However I have an i7 6850K overclocked, with 128gb of ddr4 ram, Dual Nvidia 1080 Seahawks, and over 64tb of storage.
I ran into issues with capture components numerous times due to low usb power due to overloading the usb bus.

Perhaps you need to re-configure your system, and disconnect all your usb devices and troubleshoot properly, vs complaining about the software.

Dont use Hubs, Dont use splitters, Disconnect all other devices except the essential mouse and keyboard, etc. Then See if the issue continues or not.
Perhaps use Msconfig and turn off all your startup items and services.

If you run Antivirus software such as norton, mcafee, kaspersky or bitdefender, you may want to temporarily disable these as well.

If you have a second hard drive you can use to install a clean version of windows, this might also help with testing purposes.

Ive run the 3ds capture software & DS capture software for years on crazy builds and never run into the issues your mentioning.