N3DS progress..

Straunge

Re: N3DS progress..

Post by Straunge » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:43 pm

loopy wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:04 am
Manus wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:55 am
N3DSXL or course please. Why only 1 batch? The scalpers will rise this problem much More.
I am making more, of course. I'm asking about other models.

I realize asking which model you want supported is just another way of saying "which 3DS do you own?" Makes more sense to go by the numbers, whatever was the most produced / most popular. I don't know if those numbers are available ... my hunch is that would be the old 3DS XL?

Maybe a more interesting question is what else do you wish I would spend time on. Add features? Software improvements? Something else?
- I've been thinking about making a DirectShow filter, so other software like OBS can use it as a video source (like a webcam) instead of using screen capture.
- HDMI out would be pretty cool. I've designed a board for N3DSXL (exact same form factor as the current board, just with micro HDMI instead of USB). That should get here next week, I'm excited to play around with it.
- Would be nice to finally add audio to the DS board.
- Maybe add 3D capture, it feels incomplete without it. But does anyone care?
I personally think capture as a source for OBS would be super useful, but not necessary depending on how much the hardware would have to change to support it. A connector for single-port charging and capture would be awesome for the sake of keeping a streaming setup clean though. Personally I would never need 3d capture for anything but I could see people wanting to use it for specific content possibly. I only own an O3DS and an N3DSXL so I currently only personally benefit from restocks but I’d love to see what other hardware ideas you come up with.

Chroma

Post by Chroma » Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:34 am

loopy wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:27 am
WardogAce wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:40 am
How much development would it take to do what you did for the N3DSXL and apply it to the N3DS? Those other features you suggest do sound awesome for future developments; I didn't realize these consoles could handle all that! Makes me glad I still play my N3DS
The development part is done. It's just a matter of figuring out how to make it fit. There isn't quite enough room to put a connector in the same place the XL uses. Going back to micro USB makes it a little easier but I'd prefer to avoid that. I'm tempted to have it replace the original charging port, that looks like the cleanest solution.
As someone waiting for the N3DS board, I'm all for replacing the proprietary 3DS charger for the universal USB-C port. Currently, I'm using an O3DS, but it's always in a bit of a cable web with the charger and microUSB plugged in at the same time. Since I stream, I have to leave it plugged in or it'll run out of battery fairly quickly. It'd be great to just have the data and charging taken care of with one cable I can find that charges a lot of my other stuff.

I noticed some talk about the OBS stuff still, hope the conversation keeps going. I'm still looking for a simpler Mac solution of any kind. HDMI through USB-C also is something I saw mentioned, that just can be directly captured by a capture card. If you use Elgato HD60S+ or newer as well, you wouldn't even need to build any drivers or software for Mac or Windows, since that capture card just appears as a capture source in OBS so you can stream it directly.

lanuigi3ds

Post by lanuigi3ds » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:59 pm

loopy wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:04 am
Manus wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:55 am
N3DSXL or course please. Why only 1 batch? The scalpers will rise this problem much More.
I am making more, of course. I'm asking about other models.

I realize asking which model you want supported is just another way of saying "which 3DS do you own?" Makes more sense to go by the numbers, whatever was the most produced / most popular. I don't know if those numbers are available ... my hunch is that would be the old 3DS XL?

Maybe a more interesting question is what else do you wish I would spend time on. Add features? Software improvements? Something else?
- I've been thinking about making a DirectShow filter, so other software like OBS can use it as a video source (like a webcam) instead of using screen capture.
- HDMI out would be pretty cool. I've designed a board for N3DSXL (exact same form factor as the current board, just with micro HDMI instead of USB). That should get here next week, I'm excited to play around with it.
- Would be nice to finally add audio to the DS board.
- Maybe add 3D capture, it feels incomplete without it. But does anyone care?

I recently just got a N3DSXL because I thought you were mostly focused on those models and wanted a capture for it. But I think getting a poll on what people want or which model is easiest for you to work with is good.

weirdguynoah

Post by weirdguynoah » Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:41 pm

Agree. Poll would be a good idea.

papajefe

Post by papajefe » Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:39 am

Any updates on a potential round two of N3DSXL? Its been a few months, just wondering if any plans to order more boards are in motion.

jen_tsukase

Post by jen_tsukase » Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:56 am

I'd totally buy a card for the N3DS. For now I only have a DS capture card, since I didn't buy a N3DSXL (I just don't like it).. But it would be a dream to be able to capture DS and 3DS on my N3DS!

Straunge

Post by Straunge » Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:27 am

papajefe wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:39 am
Any updates on a potential round two of N3DSXL? Its been a few months, just wondering if any plans to order more boards are in motion.
I think he’s said previously he is making more, he’s just asking about potential future boards.

weirdguynoah

Post by weirdguynoah » Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:14 am

If it’s about future boards, I have a 3dsXL, but if the next batch will be the N3DSXL boards again, I’ll bite the bullet, and locate a used “New” 3DSXL.

Skydash

Post by Skydash » Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:36 am

weirdguynoah wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:14 am
If it’s about future boards, I have a 3dsXL, but if the next batch will be the N3DSXL boards again, I’ll bite the bullet, and locate a used “New” 3DSXL.
That's what I did. I bought a used new 3DSXL just in case haha. But the N3DSXL is more useful i think because there are games that required the second joystick.

steeler

Post by steeler » Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:40 pm

So I have every model in my possession except the N3DS, and my thoughts about future models are...

DS Lite is like, the most common thing out there. I do think there'd be a bit more demand for that than the Phat, which is getting a bit harder to come by nowadays. I also like being able to use Phat/Lite as a GBA capture device or for dongle stuff. This is really its only niche use, but I am very glad to have a capture DS even though I have a 3DS and N3DSXL with capture. It's much easier than recording from a GB Player.

DSi is basically a Lite without the GBA slot, but it does allow for homebrew mods. However, on that point it basically usurped by any 3DS.

DSi XL is functionally the same as a DSi, but I have to extol the value of this thing for a bit. It is by far the comfiest and largest DS ever made, and every single model has dual IPS screens. I love this thing and it is *the* premier way to play DS games. They are scaled up perfectly and I would personally love to be able to capture off of this. However, its value comes almost entirely from its ergonomics and functionally doesn't do anything that a 3DS can't do...

3DS XL is fine. They are still fairly common but it is redundant with the 3DS and N3DSXL now both supported. It is the cheapest big 3DS though, so that makes finding a model to mod a bit easier.

2DS probably makes the most sense for a capture device because it is so cheap and is the only model without a clamshell. In the future (and even now), this would be the most cost effective way for someone completely new to start recording DS/3DS gameplay, so I do think it makes a lot of sense.

N3DS is great from what I understand and I know it has a lot of fans, but it was only a limited edition release in US so this has the lowest demand of any 3DS model, I think. For those that chose this over the N3DSXL, I definitely understand wanting to support capture off of this rather than having to buy another "new" model.

N2DSXL is pretty great in my opinion and a great alternative to N3DSXL. It has a similar form factor so it may be easier for loopy to support capture on this one. It was the very last model so finding high quality hardware is going to be a bit easier than others.

My personal request would be DSi XL! But what makes the most sense based on function and availability for those who do not have a compatible capture model right now...

1: N2DSXL, N3DS
2: 2DS, 3DS XL
3: DS Lite
4: DSi XL, DSi

As far as software upgrades, my favorite thing would be a pixel filter to make the feed look more accurate to the game on the hardware!