Can only record audio from Microphone?

MidwayCJ

Can only record audio from Microphone?

Post by MidwayCJ » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:25 am

I don't know if there's another way to do it but I wanted to make a topic just in case.

I was testing out my 3ds capture card and it's working great, records video, audio plays on the computer, but it only records audio from the microphone on the computer, seemingly. This isn't a problem for some of the videos I want to make as other audio will be imposed over it, but for some things, I do need it to record just the 3ds from the computer and not me and my surroundings, if that's possible, as I have noisy pets (birds) and noisy neighbors. Not to mention noisy housemates and my microphone is recording things as soft as me chewing gum.

I tried switching it from the microphone to digital input but all I got was static like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO9Kq5ndzjE (Careful it's loud)

I saw the other topic with the guy talking about the included audio cable.. I didn't have one but that topic is a couple years old and I figured maybe it doesn't need one now but I just wanted to mention that in case because I'm just totally confused.

loopy
Site Admin

Re: Can only record audio from Microphone?

Post by loopy » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:11 pm

There's a truckload of "how do I record audio" threads here, most of it boils down to:

- If you don't hear any audio (volume slider is disabled) install DirectX.
- If game audio isn't being recorded (just microphone, or silence) check the audio settings. You want something called "stereo mix" or similar that combines audio sources.
- Sometimes it's hidden by default and you have to enable it first from the control panel. http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2007/ ... g-in-vista
- Sometimes updating your sound driver will help (use a proper OEM driver for your sound card instead of generic, built-in Windows driver).
- If that doesn't work, virtual-audio-cable type software can help. Something like this.
- Last resort - other screen capture software might work better for you (OBS, FRAPS, Dxtory, Bandicam, XSplit, Camtasia, VirtualDub, Mirillis, ........)

viewtopic.php?p=6853#p6853
MidwayCJ wrote:I saw the other topic with the guy talking about the included audio cable.. I didn't have one but that topic is a couple years old and I figured maybe it doesn't need one now but I just wanted to mention that in case because I'm just totally confused.
The "included audio cable" (actually noise filter) was included before USB audio capture was implemented, when you had to record game audio from the 3DS headphone jack. The noise filter removed extra static noise caused by interference from the USB port. If you want one of these (esp. for Mac recording, the beta mac software doesn't have USB audio capture), search for "3.5mm ground loop isolator" or Kensington K39203US.

MidwayCJ

Post by MidwayCJ » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:15 pm

Oh gosh, I'm an idiot. I saw all that stuff and tested most but I didn't click the link because it said Vista. My fault! It works great now, sorry you had to take time out to help me with my dumbness. Thank you.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:07 am

I've done this and still nothing. It refuses to record when I plug in my headset. I can hear the audio . I have it set to stereo mix. I'm so frustrated. Will Anyone help me???