Any tips to retain quality while upscaling?

MidwayCJ

Any tips to retain quality while upscaling?

Post by MidwayCJ » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:58 pm

Posting this here since it's not really a technical problem. I just notice a lot of people have much better quality than I do when they make their footage bigger in adobe (or wherever). My quality isn't awful, but I'd like to be able to get the most out of it and was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice. I didn't see any other topics when searching with these tips so I though this would be the best place to ask.

lokistarwind

Re: Any tips to retain quality while upscaling?

Post by lokistarwind » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:52 pm

The issue with Adobe Premiere Pro is nearest neighbor vs bilinear upscaling. Adobe only does bilinear by default and there is no easy method to upscale using nearest neighbor. If you want an easy way to scale footage, I recommend using virtualdub with the Logarith lossless codec installed.

Another method is using after effects. By changing the layer in a composition quality to draft and also in the quality settings in the rendering options, you can get upscale footage to render at nearest neighbor. Keep in mind to check mark the audio so your video has sound.

One last thing to note is that upscaling footage makes large files so you are gonna need a fairly large HD to work with.

MidwayCJ

Post by MidwayCJ » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:08 pm

lokistarwind wrote:The issue with Adobe Premiere Pro is nearest neighbor vs bilinear upscaling. Adobe only does bilinear by default and there is no easy method to upscale using nearest neighbor. If you want an easy way to scale footage, I recommend using virtualdub with the Logarith lossless codec installed.

Another method is using after effects. By changing the layer in a composition quality to draft and also in the quality settings in the rendering options, you can get upscale footage to render at nearest neighbor. Keep in mind to check mark the audio so your video has sound.

One last thing to note is that upscaling footage makes large files so you are gonna need a fairly large HD to work with.
Thanks! Using VDub seems much much easier than that.

And no worries, my HD is pretty big and I have a 2-3 terrabye external harddrive to boot to store footage I don't immediately need at the moment on.

Is there anyway to make sure the codec is working correctly? Do I have to just install it to the harddrive or do I have to mess with Vdub to use it?

lokistarwind

Post by lokistarwind » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:58 am

Probably just look it up. I use a mac so I can't use it and so am stuck with after effects.

MidwayCJ

Post by MidwayCJ » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:56 pm

lokistarwind wrote:Probably just look it up. I use a mac so I can't use it and so am stuck with after effects.
I thought I edited my other post, dang.

I did have to use filters and select the codec. It worked great and the quality is fantastic. Thank you so much I appreciate it, VDub really saved my butt.

jargus

Post by jargus » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:37 pm

Another thing to do is increase the bitrate of your video. It will up the file size but the loss wil lbe lessened.

lokistarwind

Post by lokistarwind » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:22 am

MidwayCJ wrote:
lokistarwind wrote:Probably just look it up. I use a mac so I can't use it and so am stuck with after effects.
I thought I edited my other post, dang.

I did have to use filters and select the codec. It worked great and the quality is fantastic. Thank you so much I appreciate it, VDub really saved my butt.
No problem. As a let's player, it is basic knowledge to know how to record, edit, upscale, and script a video. If have any more questions send me a pm here or message me at my channel user/RagnamanEXE.