3dscapture.com

Support Forum
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:38 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 33  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:14 pm 

My head is full of air today, so sorry if I'm missing something massive here, but how would adding a GameCube controller mod to a 3DS with a capture board already installed go? I had a conversation with someone else on it recently, which starts here, but I don't trust my mechanical skills enough to feel good about messing with such a thing :|

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:14 pm 
Site Admin

... pretty much exactly what he said. Some solder points for the GC mod are under the cable for the capture card, so it has to be removed first.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:39 pm 

How close is it to be finished is it at least a 90% I can't wait.(:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:05 am 
Site Admin

Soon. Maybe I can finish the coding this week. Everything that I wanted to put in is done. I need to do some last minute testing, maybe change button combos around (and write up an install guide, take pictures for the website, all that junk... I'll deal with that later). I want to have this wrapped up soon so I can move on to other things.

Here's some documentation I wrote up (still needs some organizing). If you can think of anything missing, let me know. This sort of mod isn't user-upgradable, you'd need to mail it back to get it reprogrammed. The calibration stuff is a little goofy and hard to explain, not sure if I can come up with anything better (it isn't something you'd normally have to mess with though).

Code:
** R2, L2 in the documentation refers to secondary L/R buttons (Z on GameCube, ZL/ZR on Wii, R1/L1 on PlayStation).

Circle Pad Pro
---------------
The adapter emulates a Circle Pad Pro, using your controller's secondary analog stick. CPP emulation is disabled while a controller is unplugged.  While the CPP is active, button mapping is also changed:

controller L -> CPP ZL
    controller R -> CPP ZR
    controller L2 -> 3DS L
    controller R2 -> CPP R

Smash Bros.
-----------
The second analog stick is used for smash and ariel attacks (direction+A) in Super Smash Bros.
The R2 button (i.e. GameCube Z) is mapped to 3DS L.
Hold Z with C-stick for Smash charging (Melee-style controls).

Default button mapping
-----------------------
GameCube:
    Z+Start = Select
    L+R+Z+Start = Home

PlayStation:
    L+R+Start+Select = Home

N64:
    L or Z = L
    C-buttons = A,B,X,Y
    L+Start = Select
    L+R+Z+start = Home

SNES:
    L+R+Start+Select = Home

Wii Classic:
    (1:1 mapping)

Settings
--------------
Separate settings are maintained for each controller type.
Button remapping, calibration, and other settings are not made permanent until saved.
Unplug a controller or turn off the 3DS to revert to previous settings.
To remove all saved settings and revert to factory defaults, hold Start+Select on the 3DS while powering on.

L + R + Start + A (hold 2 seconds):  Save settings
L + R + Up + Start:         Enable second analog stick
L + R + Down + Start:       Disable second analog stick
L + R + Right + Start:      Swap analog sticks
L + R + Left + Start:       No analog stick swap
Left + Start (hold 2 seconds):  Set L button analog trigger level (GameCube only)
Right + Start (hold 2 seconds): Set R button analog trigger level (GameCube only)

Digital-only controllers (SNES and PlayStation):

L + R + Up + Start:         Map D-pad to 3DS circle pad
L + R + Down + Start:       Map D-pad to 3DS D-pad

Button mapping
-----------------
Button remapping will be easier if you go to a screen where buttons have no effect (like the 3DS Other Settings screen).
Push L+R+B+Start to enter button remapping mode. Push Start to leave remapping mode.

Hold a button on the 3DS and push the corresponding button on the controller.
To "unmap" a button, push the 3DS button by itself.
You can map multiple controller buttons to a single 3DS button.  There are two types, "OR"-mapping or "AND"-mapping.

OR-map: Either controller button can trigger a button push on the 3DS (for example, both L and Z on the N64 go to 3DS L.)  For OR-mapping, hold the 3DS button, then push each controller button one at a time.

AND-map: All buttons must be held to trigger a button push (for example, Z+Start on GameCube for Select).  For AND-mapping, hold the 3DS button and push all controller buttons together.

** On an N64 controller, L+R+Start triggers a self-calibrate function on the controller.  The analog stick should be in neutral position when using this button combination.

To map L2/R2 buttons (for CPP or Smash):
    L2: Hold 3DS L+Up
    R2: Hold 3DS R+X

Calibration
------------
If analog sticks need to be recalibrated: Go to the 3DS calibration screen.  Unplug the controller and go through the normal calibration routine, using the 3DS's circle pad. Once you're at the test screen (where you highlight the test arrows green), connect your controller.

L + R + X + Start:      Set analog stick center position
Hold L + R + analog stick direction, then push D-pad direction to adjust scaling.  Position the cursor just past the tip of the arrows.
Save calibration by holding L+R+Start+A (see Settings, above).

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:24 am 

So quick question about Smash Bros mode: you covered the C-stick and Z button, but do you set GCN L to 3ds R by default?

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:46 pm 

Thx for the work.

Waiting for the finished product to order a 3ds with capture card and gamecube mod @ merki.net

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:40 am 

loopy wrote:
Well, I was thinking it could be fixed by modifying the firmware on their adapter (if it HAS firmware that can be updated, I don't know).

On the topic of modifying adapter firmware... How possible would it be to take a 3rd party GCN to USB adapter and use it for Smash 4 (since the official ones are so rare right now)?

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:45 pm 
Site Admin

Czar_Yoshi wrote:
So quick question about Smash Bros mode: you covered the C-stick and Z button, but do you set GCN L to 3ds R by default?

No. GCN L,R buttons go to 3DS L,R.

Czar_Yoshi wrote:
On the topic of modifying adapter firmware... How possible would it be to take a 3rd party GCN to USB adapter and use it for Smash 4 (since the official ones are so rare right now)?

Like a GC -> PC adapter? I don't think that will work.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:04 pm 
I've been reading through this thread after looking for GCN -> 3DS mod, and it looks fantastic!
Any idea when you'll be stocked and ready to sell?

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:30 am 
Looking forward to this. Hopefully I can send in my 3DS that has one of your capture boards to get a GCC mod added to it.

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 33  Next