Details about using it as a display

jayare

Details about using it as a display

Post by jayare » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:58 am

Hello, i'm new here!
I am very excited about being able to use my computer to display DS games!
I have some specific questions that I wasn't able to find using the search button, or maybe I didn't search good enough.
So rather than reading every thread, I hope you can forgive me for making a new one just to ask.

Well one of my questions is if the capture can display at a perfect framerate (60 fps?)
I did search 60 fps, and it seems it does do that, but I ask anyway.

1. Can I play DS on my computer at a constant 60 fps? I don't plan to capture videos...
I also wouldn't mind if frames dropped like every 30 seconds or something, but not every 5 seconds like the GameBoy Player did.

2. Is there input lag? If so, how much?

3. There is a GBA to TV device that connects the GBA... to the TV.
Ok, I know that the DS can play GBA, but... has there ever been a GBA to computer capture card like the DS and 3DS have? I ask because see, the DS doesn't play GameBoy Color cartridges...

Placlu

Re: Details about using it as a display

Post by Placlu » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:27 am

1. Yes, you will probably have a computer capable of doing so (It dosen't take much), and it does display 60fps.
2. Not that i'm aware of, I have played off of it before just fine, if you're after a game that needs like pinpoint accuracy maybe not, but 99% of games you probably won't notice.
3. Well the original DS plays GBA games.. so.. that.

Czar_Yoshi

Post by Czar_Yoshi » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:35 am

The capture card won't give a higher framerate than the DS itself, so you'll get 60FPS as long as your games go that high. It shouldn't drop frames unless your hard drive is slow and you're recording, though. If the Gameboy Player doesn't float your boat, there should be a decent offering of GBC games on Virtual Console instead.

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:06 am

That is amazing! Thanks!! *buys a DS*
... ...

We need a GBC to GBA cartridge adapter with a built-in chip or what it is it needs to make a DS able to play GBC.

jayare

Post by jayare » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:24 am

I accidentally posted that as guest :S
I didn't know I was logged out. Anyway, I was joking about the GBC part! Or dreaming x)
Thanks again.

andy1987

Post by andy1987 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:31 am

The add on for the Gamecube (GBA player) plays all gameboy games and you can hook that up to a capture card to play on a monitor.

jayare

Post by jayare » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:29 pm

andy1987 wrote:The add on for the Gamecube (GBA player) plays all gameboy games and you can hook that up to a capture card to play on a monitor.
Oh no! The GameBoy player has way too many problems.

1. Frame drops. Every 5 seconds, you would see a very unpleasant stuttering. There is no avoiding this. GB, GBC, GBA games all show it. The Super GameBoy didn't even do that.

2. Motion blur. Just play Super Mario Land on a GB Player and then on a Super GameBoy. Watch the background as you move. The GB Player blurs all movement! The Super GameBoy did not, and it looked much better. Its like an option called Motion Blur on an GBA emulator. Except you can't turn it off, I think.

3. You need a real GBA anyway if you want to be holding a proper controller. The GameCube's controller is more than awkward for these old games.

4. Interlaced video. See, again, compare the Super GameBoy to the GB Player, at least on an old TV which is what I use, and you will notice a lot of flickering coming from the GB Player. S-Video would help that, but it will never be like the SNES. And it makes it look even more blurry.

... :P yeah, I don't like the GB Player. I'm thinking that if you connect a DS to a computer, and that computer to a TV, it's gonna look WAY MUCH BETTER than the GB Player! That is why I wish there was either a capture card for the old GBA, or a GBC to GBA converter, but these things are too expensive to make just for the few people that want it... ... After I send my DS to get it modded, I will come back with results.

MithrilMonarch

Post by MithrilMonarch » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:41 pm

jayare wrote:
andy1987 wrote:The add on for the Gamecube (GBA player) plays all gameboy games and you can hook that up to a capture card to play on a monitor.
Oh no! The GameBoy player has way too many problems.

1. Frame drops. Every 5 seconds, you would see a very unpleasant stuttering. There is no avoiding this. GB, GBC, GBA games all show it. The Super GameBoy didn't even do that.

2. Motion blur. Just play Super Mario Land on a GB Player and then on a Super GameBoy. Watch the background as you move. The GB Player blurs all movement! The Super GameBoy did not, and it looked much better. Its like an option called Motion Blur on an GBA emulator. Except you can't turn it off, I think.

3. You need a real GBA anyway if you want to be holding a proper controller. The GameCube's controller is more than awkward for these old games.

4. Interlaced video. See, again, compare the Super GameBoy to the GB Player, at least on an old TV which is what I use, and you will notice a lot of flickering coming from the GB Player. S-Video would help that, but it will never be like the SNES. And it makes it look even more blurry.

... :P yeah, I don't like the GB Player. I'm thinking that if you connect a DS to a computer, and that computer to a TV, it's gonna look WAY MUCH BETTER than the GB Player! That is why I wish there was either a capture card for the old GBA, or a GBC to GBA converter, but these things are too expensive to make just for the few people that want it... ... After I send my DS to get it modded, I will come back with results.
If you really don't want the interlaced signal, you could drop like $300 on component cables.

jayare

Post by jayare » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:05 pm

MithrilMonarch wrote:If you really don't want the interlaced signal, you could drop like $300 on component cables.
Waaaaaaait a minute :O Do you have that cable?
(Also, its not $300 yet XD thank god, its around $170)

But, are you saying it will be 240p on an old tv?
I dont use HD TVs.

MithrilMonarch

Post by MithrilMonarch » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:16 pm

jayare wrote:
MithrilMonarch wrote:If you really don't want the interlaced signal, you could drop like $300 on component cables.
Waaaaaaait a minute :O Do you have that cable?
(Also, its not $300 yet XD thank god, its around $170)

But, are you saying it will be 240p on an old tv?
I dont use HD TVs.
I don't have any of those cables unfortunately.

The cables would boost the signal from 480i to 480p. However, you do need an HDTV (or EDTV) to use component cables.