Re: CuteCapture - Capture Software for Linux and Mac

Post by Elysium » Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:51 am

Dawson95 wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:50 am
Chroma wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:08 pm
Dawson95 wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:19 am
I was just wondering, does anyone know how to get in contact with the developer for the CuteCapture software. I just wanted to ask them if they are working on updating the software so that it can work with the New Nintendo 3DS XL capture cards.
GitHub is the place. I believe the developer will answer troubleshooting questions, but they have explicitly said they are no longer able to work on it due to life stuff.
I see, alright then. Is there possibly another 3ds viewer window I can download to use the New Nintendo 3DS XL capture cards?
This.
viewtopic.php?t=6846

I've never used it though.

Chroma

Post by Chroma » Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:01 pm

Dawson95 wrote:
Chroma wrote:
Dawson95 wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:19 am
I was just wondering, does anyone know how to get in contact with the developer for the CuteCapture software. I just wanted to ask them if they are working on updating the software so that it can work with the New Nintendo 3DS XL capture cards.
GitHub is the place. I believe the developer will answer troubleshooting questions, but they have explicitly said they are no longer able to work on it due to life stuff.
I see, alright then. Is there possibly another 3ds viewer window I can download to use the New Nintendo 3DS XL capture cards?
For Windows? Just use Loopy’s software. For Mac/Linux? Nothing sadly. I’ve been trying to drum up interest in having a Mac version added for a while.

Dawson95

Post by Dawson95 » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:24 am

Chroma wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:01 pm
Dawson95 wrote:
Chroma wrote:

For Windows? Just use Loopy’s software. For Mac/Linux? Nothing sadly. I’ve been trying to drum up interest in having a Mac version added for a while.
Thank you for the help. I ended up getting Parallels and downloaded Loopy’s software. But now I have another issue. I notice that the video would glitch a bit. Is there a way to fix this. A cable maybe. And if so, what brand should I get.

Chroma

Post by Chroma » Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:56 am

Dawson95 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:24 am
Chroma wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:01 pm
Dawson95 wrote:

Thank you for the help. I ended up getting Parallels and downloaded Loopy’s software. But now I have another issue. I notice that the video would glitch a bit. Is there a way to fix this. A cable maybe. And if so, what brand should I get.
Parallels is a bit tricky, it’s an emulation layer running Windows 11 ARM. I’m not entirely sure, but start with a well-rated cable that isn’t from the dollar store. Make sure in Parallels, all the available drivers for Windows is installed. Also, next to the download button for the software to Loopy’s software, there are two drivers (one for audio, one for firmware), make sure you download both.

Besides that, maybe Loopy knows, but it’s hard to say if any issues are caused by running it through Parallels. Really hard to say. This is why a native Mac/Linux version would be substantially better, but for now, whatever you can best hobble together through Parallels, you may need to fiddle with.

sh1n1es

Post by sh1n1es » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:33 pm

Chroma wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 6:32 am
CuteCapture will run on 2023 Apple Silicon Macs. The issue though is not in it running, but actually getting the whole package to operate easily.

Basically, CuteCapture’s development has been dead for something like over 2-3 years at this point. The current version will display video as expected, but you cannot get audio. The Mac uses a mic/headphone dual use port, and CuteCapture has no idea what to do when you plug an AUX in, and it just turns the 3DS into a headphone out, which does nothing. And no, the software doesn’t do audio out from the USB like Loopy’s native software does. I also once tried using a headphone splitter to split the signals for the Mac out to a separated mic and headphone port, and the software still couldn’t output audio.

Believe me, a good decade ago I got tired of Windows and switched to Mac, best decision and I still stick with it today. However, CuteCapture is the frontliner software recommended today for this capture card, and not only is it completely dead on development, but what is currently here only half works.

I would recommended getting a Mac for its many other benefits as a daily computer. However, specifically for this use, CuteCapture just isn’t up to snuff. You’ll see me in multiple forums continuously mentioning this problem, because we need a solution and it just never has been actually addressed. I hope if you end up with a Mac, you’ll also voice your opinion on the forums to inform that Mac users currently have nothing actually usable for this capture card.
I can't get it to run on my 2020 M1 Macbook Air...just a black screen. Not sure if things have changed since this post, but I'm totally lost on how to fix it.

Chroma

Post by Chroma » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:31 am

I think it's really important to note that CuteCapture is not an active project. The developer, for a long time, has emphasized that they are unable to work on it further. They openly left the project open for someone to fork and take over, but nobody has really stepped up for years.

That's why every once in a while, I keep reviving this topic and the other main Mac support topic to prod and check if Loopy has any time to add support to either macOS or even allow it to be recognized in an open-source recording software (optimally a universal and popular one like OBS).

If the software doesn't work, especially with the newer cards, I wouldn't expect being able to get help for it. The only real way is if someone else takes over CuteCapture and actively provides support there (unlikely), or if Loopy is able to find time to add macOS support directly to the main software releases somehow.

Mori

Post by Mori » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:18 pm

I just wanted to add here that even today, CuteCapture works fine on Mac Sonoma with the DS Loopy card, incase anyone is interested.

How I capture Audio on a Mac is using a Headphone Jack Splitter from DS (for headphones and Audio output), and then plug it into a Ground-Loop Isolator (£5 off amazon), then that into a USB Soundcard (£5 off amazon), and then that into a USB3.2 hub, then that into the Mac.

Then a Mic can also be plugged into the USB Hub, and just like that you have Audio in from DS from Mac, and a Mic input.
OBS can find these separately too for different tracks.

I'm sure the same set up will work for 3DS, assuming you can get a picture on Mac.
Hope this helps.

Gen3Hunter225

Post by Gen3Hunter225 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:06 pm

Hey! Was just wondering if anyone has ever tried multiple DS’s on a Mac with this Cute Capture software? If so, does it still work the same way with opening multiple windows per each DS?

Thanks!

BlackMage

Post by BlackMage » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:41 pm

Hi,

Is there a time window when Cute 3DS Capture can capture audio?