CuteCapture - Capture Software for Linux and Mac

gRuFtY

Re: Cute(3)DSCapture - A Capture Software for Linux (and Mac)

Post by gRuFtY » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:45 am

I'm not all that familiar with Linux Mint, but from what I gather, running

Code: Select all

sudo apt update && sudo apt install build-essential
should install the required dev tools for you - if that doesn't help, you might want to try manually installing autoconf, automake and g++ as well.

Hope this helps!

gRuFtY

Post by gRuFtY » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:00 pm

Hey, Mac users! Can someone check if this build of C3C runs on your system? If so, we might finally have a good way to build the tool for you! :) https://github.com/Gotos/CuteCapture/re ... re.mac.zip
Last edited by gRuFtY on Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ross

Post by Ross » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:57 pm

gRuFtY wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:45 am
I'm not all that familiar with Linux Mint, but from what I gather, running

sudo apt update && sudo apt install build-essential
should install the required dev tools for you - if that doesn't help, you might want to try manually installing autoconf, automake and g++ as well.

Hope this helps!
Thanks! The program compiled successfully, but when I run it, I always get a glitchy display(whether the DS is switched on or not). I tried to follow the instructions on the Github page, where it says to copy 95-dscapture.rules to /etc/udev/rules.d(I created that directory inside of the CuteDSCapture folder, copied the 95-dscapture.rules to the udev folder, then renamed the file to rules.d, but I doubt that's how it's done) and typed udevadm control --reload-rules into the terminal, but it just hangs. I took the screenshot when the DS was on the home screenImage
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-11-02 14-27-59.png
Screenshot from 2020-11-02 14-27-59.png (31.9 KiB) Viewed 46529 times

gRuFtY

Post by gRuFtY » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:18 pm

Ah, sorry. If this is the first time you're using Linux this isn't obvious, but paths starting with / are absolute paths, not relative ones. So this file needs to go into the global etc folder, into a subfolder udev and within that into a folder rules.d.

The udevadm command shouldn't hang anyway tho. Not sure what that's about...

Ross

Post by Ross » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:40 am

It's working now, thanks!!!!! :D

gRuFtY

Post by gRuFtY » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:09 am

Hi there!

There are now official MacOS builds on https://github.com/Gotos/CuteCapture!
Also: Some new features! Pre-compiled Linux builds! Framerate limiter while no handheld's connected!

I'll update the intro post of this thread soon as well, but the link above should provide all the information you need to get it to run. Hope this helps everyone who struggled to get CuteCapture to run so far.

MrWinds

Re: CuteCapture - Capture Software for Linux and Mac

Post by MrWinds » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:52 am

Yo! I'm having a similar problem to what Ross was having back in November. It's worth noting that, i have no idea what i'm doing, and it's a miracle i've made it this far. My glitchy display looks a bit different compared to his, and i'm also using Cute3DSCapture instead. I couldn't figure out how to get "install_udev_rules.sh" to work, so I manually created the /etc/udev/rules.d folders and put the files in there. It doesn't seem to have made any difference. I also don't know how to properly use the "udevadm control --reload-rules" command. I'm running Pop OS and have been trying to escape the Windows ecosystem. Help is appreciated!
Attachments
help.png
help.png (200.88 KiB) Viewed 45480 times

gRuFtY

Post by gRuFtY » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:15 am

Hi there! :)

Copying the fines should work fine. Instead of running

udevadm control --reload-rules
you could try a reboot, that should do the trick as well.

If you want to try to run the command in the console - it looks like you're trying to start CuteCapture in the console and then send the command. That won't work because you're essentially sending the command to my program when you need to send it to the command line itself.
An article link this might help you understand how the terminal even works.
Essentially you wanna open the terminal (for example you could try right clicking the empty space in a folder and see if a "open in terminal" option is available or open it in the start menu; on pop is the terminal likely called Gnome-Shell) then navigate to the CuteCapture folder using

cd <full name/path of the folder>
, then run

sudo udevadm control --reload-rules
. (sudo is a command that will execute the following command as admin, which I think is necessary for this reload).

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need more support! :)

MrWinds

Post by MrWinds » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:02 pm

Well, i attempted the 'udevadm control --reload-rules' command, it asked for my password, which made me think it was gonna work, however, it seemingly did nothing lol. I also tried running "install_udev_rules.sh" in the terminal again and it brought back: "cp: cannot stat '95-*dscapture.rules': No such file or directory". I tried moving the "95-3dscapture.rules" file to the folder everything else is in, running "install_udev_rules.sh" again, and got a similar response to when i tried 'udevadm control --reload-rules'. I did it in case maybe my folder structure was off. The "etc/udev/rules.d" thing goes into the same "CuteCapture-sfml-2.5.linux" folder, right?

I feel like Linux can't see my 3ds connected via USB at all, is there any way to check that? I'm gonna try using version 2.4 to see if anything different happens, although, i do remember seeing "SFML version 2.5.1" when i installed it originally. Maybe that .1 version difference is the problem? Not sure how i would install a previous version.

Oh, and i've restarted my PC many many times, doesn't seem to affect anything.
Attachments
Help 2 (compressed).png
Help 2 (compressed).png (72.92 KiB) Viewed 45466 times

gRuFtY

Post by gRuFtY » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:04 pm

The "etc/udev/rules.d" thing goes into the same "CuteCapture-sfml-2.5.linux" folder, right?
Actually, no. It goes into the filesystem root. The / at the beginning ("/etc/...") indicates that it's a so called absolute path (as opposed to a relative path that starts without the / and would go where you thought it would.)

You can do two things - either move both files back to their original location and run install_udev_rules.sh again, but this time with sudo (i.e.

sudo install_udev_rules.sh
), which will copy the files to the right place for you.
Or copy them to the right place yourself. Find your filesystem root (e.g. by opening a folder and clicking on the "go up one folder" button until that's not possible anymore; you will see that there already is a folder called etc there) and from there navigate to etc, then udev, then rules.d and copy the the files there.

Afterwards run

udevadm control --reload-rules
again or reboot your computer.

That should fix it :)

Sorry for not mentioning the sudo command in the documentation. Sudo is often left out in linux documentation if people believe it's clear from context that you need to run a program as admin. If you ever run across programs again that don't behave like you expect them to, it is often worth a shot to try adding sudo in front of it.
I'll change the documentation to make the need for using sudo clear later, thanks for bringing this to my attention!