Will anyone ever make New 3DS Capture cards again?

Deleted User 10542

Will anyone ever make New 3DS Capture cards again?

Post by Deleted User 10542 » Mon May 04, 2020 11:04 am

Why did the whole planet have to rely on the Japanese company Katsukity to make these capture cards? Katsukity has been gone since the new law was passed in Japan that made it illegal to profit off of console mods, and the European company, Merki, sold out of their Katsukity stock over a year or two ago. Why couldn't anyone else have made these capture cards, and why not in the U.S.A? Is Loopy the last hope, even though he just makes Old 3DS capture cards, if even that? When will someone else come along and start making these internal capture card mods for the New 3DS again? Is it that difficult to figure out how to make them? The New 3DS may be the best console (handheld or otherwise) that Nintendo has made in almost 20 years. It's backwards compatible with DS games, handles 3D graphics better and has more virtual memory than the original 3DS, includes a much needed C-Stick, and has so many other great aspects about it, such as giving gamers portable versions of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask that can be played anywhere. Why doesn't anyone care to make mods for it anymore? People make RGB and HDMI mods for NES, SNES, and N64, as well as HDMI mods for GameCube. Why is the New 3DS the one console no one cares about anymore, even though it's one of the best consoles Nintendo has ever made?

evolution219

Re: Will anyone ever make New 3DS Capture cards again?

Post by evolution219 » Mon May 04, 2020 12:08 pm

Unlikely to be sold again unless someone comes up with a design that is easier to install and is more reliable than the current ones as even when installed properly they have a high failure rate compared to the og 3ds and og 3ds xl
Also know as EvoCapture1 British capture card builder

Deleted User 10542

Post by Deleted User 10542 » Mon May 04, 2020 12:12 pm

I didn't realize they had a high failure rate, thanks for telling me that. Do you think maybe someday, through advancements in technology, smaller/more reliable components can be made to serve the same purpose? I don't see why the whole world should have to rely on an unreliable product made by a Japanese company that doesn't even exist anymore.
Last edited by Deleted User 10542 on Mon May 04, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

evolution219

Post by evolution219 » Mon May 04, 2020 12:16 pm

Yeah hopefully someone will come up with a better design as I’d love to install them for people, I know loopy was working on a board for a while but don’t know if he still is

Deleted User 10542

Post by Deleted User 10542 » Mon May 04, 2020 12:21 pm

There is a British seller on eBay named bitsandpixels.shop who installs USB capture cards for the EU version of the Old 3DS. Do you know why both they and Loopy don't make New 3DS capture cards? Is the New 3DS tighter or just more difficult to figure out because of software or hardware differences?

evolution219

Post by evolution219 » Mon May 04, 2020 12:25 pm

Yeah the n3ds boards are hard to get a hold of and the soldering required is microscopic some of the contacts needed to solder to are less than 0.25mm I guess they don’t sell them for the same reasons I don’t, the install difficulty and failure rate

Tecd0c

Post by Tecd0c » Mon May 04, 2020 2:20 pm

I recently installed and sold the NEW 3DS Capture Cards (second/latest generation). Due to the significantly higher time consumption, you can only make 5-6 of them a day.
However, the demand is significantly higher, so I have worked on it for at least 16 hours every Monday to Sunday for the past 3 years.

Working on the "old 3DS & old 3DS XL" is much easier and is much more lucrative as the installation of an old generation only takes 30 minutes to finish.
The new generation is couple times more time-consuming and is not paid as well if you count the payment of work per hour..

As I understand Loopy, he hasn't found a solution or better design to make the installation any easier (we only talked about it a week ago) ...
I'm going to take a 3-4 month break now.

Deleted User 10542

Post by Deleted User 10542 » Mon May 04, 2020 10:00 pm

I know you said you want to take a break for a few months, but I would love to have one of these installed for my New 3DS XL. In your opinion, are the installations you do reliable and do they last a long time without breaking down? Since you posted a link to Merki's website, does that mean you work for them? I thought Merki ran out of stock?

Tecd0c

Post by Tecd0c » Mon May 04, 2020 10:30 pm

I'm Stefan Merki - the owner of Merki.net and I do all of the installations myself...

I'm not Katsukitty (Keity from Japan), he had workers that did the installations for him (he personally did not do any installs himself) and this persons were frequently rotating so installing quallity was not that bright.
My installations are reliable, I sold and installed until now around 6000 units!
Did you ever hear anything bad or any issues about my installs?

Plus for all types of consoles I changed the ways for the installs of the Capture Card.
To prevent the issues customers from Keity (Katsukitty) are having with their units...

It is not a matter of running out of stock, I have still a decent amount available - but I do not want to do the installs now.
Just read my Twitter posts or my Discord channel.

Deleted User 10542

Post by Deleted User 10542 » Mon May 04, 2020 10:44 pm

I'm very pleased to speak with you, Merki. To answer your question, no I have never heard anything bad about your installs. It's just that the user evolution219 mentioned that the capture cards for the New 3DS had a high failure rate compared to the Old 3DS capture cards, but I'm very happy to hear from you that your work is reliable and that you still have the Katsukity cards in stock. I understand that you don't want to do any more installations for the time being, because of how difficult or time consuming it may be for you. I would still love to have my New 3DS XL modded with one of these capture cards someday, so would you recommend that I check back with you in a few months? Also, is there no way for you to design your own capture cards, rather than having to rely on the depleting Katsukity made stock? Once that stock runs out, there won't be any other New 3DS capture cards in existence, unless someone else starts making them.