PS Vita Capture Card

triple_lei

Re: PS Vita Capture Card

Post by triple_lei » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:26 pm

MakiManPR wrote: You got FRAPS working on it?
I'm still messing around with the settings, but I'm missing a bit of the picture with Fraps as well. Maybe MKGirlism or Cyberman65 could tell us their exact settings and how big their capture display window is...

-

EDIT:

I got to work. I just need to maximize the window. It still records at 960x544 instead of my computer's resolution.

MakiManPR

Post by MakiManPR » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:01 pm

triple_lei wrote:
MakiManPR wrote: You got FRAPS working on it?
I'm still messing around with the settings, but I'm missing a bit of the picture with Fraps as well. Maybe MKGirlism or Cyberman65 could tell us their exact settings and how big their capture display window is...

-

EDIT:

I got to work. I just need to maximize the window. It still records at 960x544 instead of my computer's resolution.
Don't need to do that. You stretch it if you want on the Video Editor.
I've my 3DS XL Capture setup ready already. I already started to upload Luigi Lets Play

BTW I subscribbed to you. Let me know when you upload the Video Test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwE5HqZ3bwc

triple_lei

Post by triple_lei » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:57 am

Okay, here's my PS Vita capture test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH6yU-DTeZg

The picture does bounce, most noticeably at the LiveArea screen. You can't really see it in this video unless you pay really close attention to the checkbox in the lower right corner.

Hopefully that just needs a tweak and not a full-blown reinstallation... :roll:

MKGirlism

Post by MKGirlism » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:20 am

So I see you like the new YouTube Channel Design?
I've switched back to the old one, I like the old one way better, especially because I'm a YouTube Partner.
The Video looks quite nice, actually.
How did you upscale it to 720p?
When I do that on VirtualDub, it doesn't want me to do that, because one of the Axises is not a Power of 2.

MakiManPR

Post by MakiManPR » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:50 pm

MKGirlism wrote:So I see you like the new YouTube Channel Design?
I've switched back to the old one, I like the old one way better, especially because I'm a YouTube Partner.
When I do that on VirtualDub, it doesn't want me to do that, because one of the Axises is not a Power of 2.
Video Editor/Render?

One question to both of you. Does the software have a built-n Record?

triple_lei

Post by triple_lei » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:43 pm

MKGirlism wrote:So I see you like the new YouTube Channel Design?
I'm not exactly in love with the new YouTube channel design myself, but I figured they're going to force it on all of us anyway so I just went with it.

I believe my test was at 960 x 544 x 10bit [YUV] (Progressive), and I don't think I touched the other options. So after I recorded with Fraps, I needed to crop and resize with AviSynth. It looked something like this:

Code: Select all

c1=AviSource("F:\mPSV_view 2013-04-13 14-30-50-73.avi").DelayAudio(0.2).Trim(1653,4491).FadeIO2(10)
c2=AviSource("F:\mPSV_view 2013-04-13 17-25-22-57.avi").DelayAudio(0.2).Trim(4753,6342).FadeIO2(10)
AlignedSplice(c1,c2)
Crop(1,8,0,-7)
Lanczos4Resize(1280,720)
I was a little surprised that it worked too because I remembered there being some sort of cropping restriction (like even numbers only), but maybe that was only for older versions of AviSynth.

I've since noticed that the other options in Trans Mode (480x272 and 960x544i) don't result in jumpy pictures, but still don't look quite as good as your final test or Cyberman65's videos, and I'm just not sure what you're doing that I'm not. I think 960x544i looks the clearest, and I can try to deinterlace in editing, but progressive is supposed to be better than interlaced.

EDIT: Seems the jittery-bouncy picture went away with these calibration settings: 36/5/3/3/6... :mrgreen:

MakiManPR wrote: Video Editor/Render?

One question to both of you. Does the software have a built-n Record?
I don't see any recording option. I just have File, Config, Trans Mode, DeInterlacing, BackBufferSize, Filtering, Same size adjustment, Rotation, and Full screen.

MKGirlism

Post by MKGirlism » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:30 am

No, Katsukity's Software does not have a Record Button, that's why I'm fooling around with FRAPS so much.
Otherwise, I wouldn't need it.

triple_lei

Post by triple_lei » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:54 am

Some final observations about Katsukity's PS Vita capture card:

When first started recording the Vita display with Fraps, I noticed I only got a small portion of the screen similar to what MakiManPR had with his Katsukity 3DS XL capturing. So after resizing the window, I finally got a capture I could work with, and it was 960x544 just like the Vita's resolution, except I had to crop 8 pixels from the top and 7 pixels from the bottom before resizing. I didn't think that much of it at the time.

I noticed a slightly bouncy picture, which I eventually was able to stabilize by going to Config > Calibration and setting H_SYNC to 36. There's no way to save that setting and editing mPSV_view.ini doesn't do anything either.

My captures were 960x544, but borders would appear because I was capturing while the viewer window was maximized and full screened (it was squishing the original video so the borders could also fit into 960x544). Clicking Same size adjustment > dot by dot x1 fixed that weird resolution problem (full resolution and no more borders), and it also got rid of the screen tearing I was getting.

Even recording the window in the first place was a bit of a headache. After wondering why the picture would freeze and I'd end up recording my entire desktop instead of the Vita viewer, and noting that pressing the Home button in-game would at least refresh the screen, I realized there needs to be movement on the Vita viewer before recording. I noticed I stopped having the problem once I plugged the Vita in to charge it, and that little charging animation on the home screen was enough to solve that problem. Before I would only start recording when my game was paused (either with Start or with the Home button), and the Fraps counter didn't show until there was some movement, and I didn't realize the viewer itself was frozen because my game was paused, so yeah... that caused me a bit of grief. :oops:

In the end, it's still awesome, and I'm amazed I was even able to get the mod done at all (ordering from the Japanese site and shipping my Vita to Japan), but yeah I wish I could've got it from loopy. The 3DS drivers and software from loopy worked "out of the box," and I'm still using the ground loop isolator that I got from loopy for Katsukity's Vita capture card, since you do need a sound filter. And of course, I could've had quicker, cheaper shipping (being in the same country and all), and my money staying in the US would've been great too.

-

EDIT: All right, one more observation. There's no problem using the Vita capture card and the official Sony PS Vita cradle. You just need some space on the bottom. I use two decks of cards.

MakiManPR

Post by MakiManPR » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:19 pm

So can you do a mini-Tutorial of how you got FRAPS working? You said that by resizing the window?

ELTheGeek

Post by ELTheGeek » Tue May 07, 2013 6:41 am

I made an account to say that you guys and gal have been awesome with helping me get my capture card set up! Thanks everyone, very helpful information here.