Issues with Pro Controller after installing drivers

Fish_CEO

Issues with Pro Controller after installing drivers

Post by Fish_CEO » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:43 am

After installing the FTDI drivers to get the 3ds capture to work, I can no longer use my Pro Controller over USB:
- If the 3DS is plugged in, the Pro Controller will repeatedly disconnect (turning off and on over and over) as long as it's plugged in
- If the 3DS is not plugged in, the Pro Controller will stay connected until software such as BetterJoy is used to add a virtual controller, at which point it will disconnect as soon as BetterJoy creates a ViGEm device (causing BetterJoy to remove the ViGEm device, at which point the Pro Controller reconnects, which causes BetterJoy to recreate the ViGEm device, etc)

The FTDI drivers seem to have permanently screwed with my system, uninstalling them from either Device Manager or pnputil has not fixed the issue, even after a reboot.

Here is a video of the issue, along with proof that the FTDI bridge device no longer exists on the system: https://youtu.be/HJy2uJLA7fk

Some clarifications:
  • The controller port is not the issue. It works fine with other cables as well as with my Switch.
  • The cable is not the issue. It works fine with other devices as well as with my Switch.
  • The controller itself is not the issue. It works fine on my PC over Bluetooth.
  • The 3DS capture works correctly if the FTDI drivers are reinstalled. After uninstalling, the capture program reports that it cannot find a capture device: just as it was before the drivers were installed.
  • I have uninstalled and reinstalled ViGEm after rebooting after uninstalling the FTDI drivers.
  • BetterJoy is not an installable program.
  • I am not using HidGuardian or HidHide.
  • BetterJoy was working perfectly up until the FTDI drivers were installed.
Installing and setting up HidHide changes the issue, such that the controller only disconnects when a vibration signal is sent: https://youtu.be/Z98cO1vAxaQ

Fish_CEO

Re: Issues with Pro Controller after installing drivers

Post by Fish_CEO » Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:06 am

I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner:

If the behavior changes based on whether the 3DS is open or closed, the only major difference there (because the capture is still going) is power draw.

When I unplugged the 3DS completely, my controller started working again. I can't believe I didn't think of this. The reason vibration was seeming to be a cause was because vibration takes a lot of power (this I know from GameCube controllers having a whole separate voltage for it).

I've moved some of my lower-draw back-port peripherals to the hub, and am plugging the 3DS directly into my computer. Everything works again. Sorry for the waste of time X)