Controller Mod for N3DSXL(maybe other models)

mast3rblad3r

Controller Mod for N3DSXL(maybe other models)

Post by mast3rblad3r » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:24 pm

I know in the past you have done controller mod for O3DS but I was wondering if you would consider a mod for N3DSXL. I know someone already done one [https://fingercramp.com/shop/gaming/con ... on-your-tv] but they are too expensive. I always wanted to see a usb-c controller port like the other people did. I don't think people actually want this but I think it would be interesting to see and I would definitely support this (if he did it).

Elysium

Re: Controller Mod for N3DSXL(maybe other models)

Post by Elysium » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:10 am

The one you linked is the same one as Loopy's, it just changes the port to USB-C. It doesn't actually support USB controllers, it just serves as a nicer-looking way to connect the supported controllers. It also doesn't have full functionality because the New 3DS XL doesn't support the circle pad pro accessory, and the controller mod doesn't support ZL, ZR, nor the c-nub. Any game that requires those buttons won't be fully playable (Xenoblade, FE: Warriors), and in games where it's not required but would be nice to use, you'll have to settle for the default control schemes (Majora's Mask, RE: Revelations, MH, maybe some others).

I agree that his prices are insane. $100 for every extra controller cable is ridiculous when the price already starts at $1250 without the controller mod, but as it stands, he's the only one offering it. Loopy has all the necessary files here if you want to make your own, but it won't be cheap, and it's mainly for the old 3DSes. However, if you go the fully self install route, getting every necessary tool and part (including a New 3DS XL and capture card) would still be cheaper than spending $1350 for controller-modded New 3DS XL with a capture board, and you'll still have tools for other projects.

Input Redirection via Luma3DS is enough for most people and supports button > touch screen, so there's very little demand for an internal mod. I've seen like 2 attempts at making a New 3DS controller mod, but they all stopped at the c-nub because they don't know how it works (I don't either). I would be nice to have a more accessible mod for both old and New 3DSes that uses a board you can get off Amazon and be programmed without extra hardware.

mast3rblad3r

Re: Controller Mod for N3DSXL(maybe other models)

Post by mast3rblad3r » Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:05 pm

Thanks for that Elysium, I wasn't talking about USB controller I was talking about controllers like SNES or GC. I just not like homebrewing my 3ds but if its the only alternative for gamecube controller on my 3ds IG I have to bite the bullet. I haven't seen people talk about this anywhere else but, again, thanks for the info. I get it some games wont be playable from a controller mod, but I mostly just play Pokemon and didn't want a lot of hand cramps and make my setup lot a bit nicer. Plus I'm not a experienced modder and don't trust my self-installing mods :lol: . That c-nub is and very big problem but again I just wanted to play Pokemon with a controller and I can see how it can get tricky for games like Majora's Mask, RE: Revelations, or MH.