Jig for drilling USB-C hole

ZungYouse56

Re: Jig for drilling USB-C hole

Post by ZungYouse56 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:16 am

Elysium wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:43 pm
Here's one I made. Printing with USB-C holes face down is recommended.

It slides between the IR sensor cover and the charge port walls. The corner that's cut out goes to the IR side. Like Interested_guy said, you will still have to use some files to smooth it out to get it just right. Use a dremel to get a hole started and most of the plastic out, and then work your way to the edges with some files. I use a flat one for the top and bottom, and then a small rounded one for the sides. You have to have already carved the inside of the shell to seat the capture board. If you haven't, the guide won't fit.

I'll post pictures later.

Made it specifically for the old version but it still works with the new version of the capture boards. The USB-C port is shifted towards the center of the N3DS XL on newer boards, but it's a very small adjustment. Just remove the guide once you're 95% of the way done, and use a small rounded file to shave a bit more towards the center of the shell.
hmm not sure if it's possible to use this because my 3ds is already pre modded with the capture card.

Elysium

Post by Elysium » Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:00 am

ZungYouse56 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:16 am
hmm not sure if it's possible to use this because my 3ds is already pre modded with the capture card.
Not sure what you mean. I used the measurements from one that Loopy modded during the beta, and then used it to install both a new and old version. It works to make a decent hole for the USB-C port.

ZungYouse56

Post by ZungYouse56 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:19 am

Elysium wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:00 am
ZungYouse56 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:16 am
Not sure what you mean. I used the measurements from one that Loopy modded during the beta, and then used it to install both a new and old version. It works to make a decent hole for the USB-C port.
ok may have to try and print that out then, also i hope those measurements helped you out

SlydWeis

Post by SlydWeis » Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:24 pm

What would be neat to see is a jig similar to the one for the DC Digital.

Using a drill, 3 holes are used for the width of the port, then flipped to have 2 holes align with the left over posts to be drilled out. Filing to a clean finish of course.

Reference:
https://docs.pixelfx.co/DCDigital-Installation.html

I just got back into 3D printing and printed out the one Elysium made. So I may try to come up with something similar.
Attachments
Compress_20231009_102011_1587.jpg
Compress_20231009_102011_1587.jpg (42.63 KiB) Viewed 3272 times