Original 3ds vs New 3ds XL

PWIA

Original 3ds vs New 3ds XL

Post by PWIA » Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:24 am

I currently own an original 3ds but since the only capture card available as of right now is for the new 3ds xl, am I going to have to buy a new 3ds xl or will the original 3ds capture cards return. Also is there any difference in quality or performance when recording with an original 3ds vs a new 3ds xl, and how does ds gameplay compare between the two, as well as a regular ds capture card?

Chroma

Re: Original 3ds vs New 3ds XL

Post by Chroma » Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:53 pm

In terms of direct capture, there is no quality difference. Both consoles output in the same graphical fidelity, albeit the New 3DS XL has much bigger displays.

The benefits all come from the hardware itself. Larger screens, substantially better battery, super-stable 3D, amiibo/NFC support, the “C-stick”, etc. The one physical benefit I can say about the new 3DS XL capture card is that it outputs video/audio AND recharges the battery off of one USB-C port. On the o3DS card, it’s a single microUSB that only does the video/audio. Most of the time, the o3DS battery is not only poor in general, but due to aging, most are getting pretty dismal. That means you have to usually have 2 cables plugged in at once to do any extended gaming captures/streaming. With the new one you just plug one and go.

PWIA

Re: Original 3ds vs New 3ds XL

Post by PWIA » Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:09 pm

Gotcha. In that case does anyone know if the loopy is revising the original 3ds capture card to have usb c or is it just getting discontinued for the new 3ds xl model?