DS Audio - popping noise through headphone jack when off?

Fullmental

DS Audio - popping noise through headphone jack when off?

Post by Fullmental » Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:07 pm

Hi, I just got my DS back in the mail, and I'm seeing some odd behavior. The audio is just fine when the system is on, but when the system is off and plugged into the PC, and I plug in a 3.5mm headphone jack, I get a rhythmic clicking/popping noise, about 2 clicks/pops per second. It will go continuously until I unplug the USB C cable. This happens whether or not the DS is fully charged or charging. The sound does not go through the DS speakers, only the 3.5mm output. I thought it might have been a bad cable so I switched it out, but the same issue happened on the spare too. Both cables were brand new and don't have problems with other devices that I can hear so far.

Is this normal/expected behavior? I used to have one of the older style DS capture cards with the Micro-B connector, I did not have such popping noises in that one when the system was off, but that one also didn't support USB charging so I'm not sure if that's the reason? Just concerned because if there is some sort of short I don't want it to damage the system long-term.

EDIT: Sample of the audio/video. You may need to download, Drive doesn't seem to like playing in browser for some reason: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ok4CxE ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Fullmental on Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NormanFoxLee12

Re: DS Audio - popping noise through headphone jack when off?

Post by NormanFoxLee12 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:28 pm

Nope. Don't have such problem on my DS.

oak46

Post by oak46 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:26 pm

Get a ground loop isolator for your 3.5mm. That's the easiest thing to do, since it basically eliminates electrical whine within the audio. The reason the problem comes up is because the power and audio are coming from one device, but 2 cords, leaving an electrical loop that the DS sits in the middle of.

I bought a few of them a couple years ago - one for my DS/3DS captures, and one for each of my cars, since I was having the same electrical whine issue in my cars where my phone is plugged in to power and the 3.5mm at the same time. It was super noticeable when I was under throttle - when the alternator was creating more power - causing the whine to grow in volume. The ground loop isolators for the 3.5mm eliminated that completely

They're cheap on Amazon, so they're pretty accessible

NormanFoxLee12

Post by NormanFoxLee12 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:34 pm

Talking about Ground Loop Isolators I am really using them. But for my Mixing Console as I am streaming and want to hear the sound from my game console, streaming PC and microphone from the same headphones. I am using Samson MD2 Pro Stereo Passive Direct Box (with Ground lifted). But they are connected only to the Mixing Console.
Sound from DS goes to the CE Labs splitter via 3.5 jack to RCA (white and red cables) and from there one goes to Isolator -> Mixing Console -> Headsets and the second goes to Sound Card on streaming PC (Sound Blaster AE-9 that accepts those white and red cables) w/o any Isolator at all. I also set delay for the sound 62ms as the it comes instant but DS Capture software has a 62ms delay (spent a day measuring it, same for 3DS as well)

So the only ground loop noises that I heard in the past were in the mixing console only, not from DS directly. Not sure if Isolater will fix this clicking sound. The clicks remind me the clicks I heard when I capture the video from my 2nd PC and the sound was not set to 48kHz on it to match the sound on the capture sound card (Twitch is using only 48kHz max). When I set everything to 48 they disappeared (those clicks happened once per 1 minute, not so often as in the video you provided).