DS Loopy Capture Card DPAD

Mori

DS Loopy Capture Card DPAD

Post by Mori » Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:20 pm

Hey everyone. I hope you're having a good start to the week.

I've just received a Nintendo DS (original chunky one) but the "Down Button" on the D-Pad is extremely unresponsive?
Everything works great, however the down button just doesn't work most of the time.
Occasionally it will work if held, but just clicking it rarely works.
I've tested both DS and GBA games and the results are the same.

Here is a video demonstrating the issue:
https://youtube.com/shorts/kj9f9ONYfWg?feature=share

I'm told by the installer that it's to be expected with Loopy cards on Nintendo DS's, and the D-Pad was fine before installing the card.
I'm also told that it's not a dirty connection for example... Is that accurate?

Is there any known cures for this issue? Or do you have any advice to help solve this?
I can't really afford to not get this fixed, as it was an investment for making videos and currently it's totally unplayable... :(

Any insight would be very much appreciated.
Thank you and enjoy your day.

Gen3Hunter225

Re: DS Loopy Capture Card DPAD

Post by Gen3Hunter225 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:02 am

Hey Mori!

I think I know what might be the issue: I think whoever installed this for you did not move the ribbon cable out of the way of the down button. It can easily get in the way of the D Pad if not carefully placed, and the result is a mushy down button!

On a side note, it is ridiculous that the installer told you this happens with loopy boards. It only happens when installers are lazy 😅. These ribbon cables are meticulously crafted with great care!

Mori

Re: DS Loopy Capture Card DPAD

Post by Mori » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:12 pm

Gen3Hunter225 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:02 am
Hey Mori!

I think I know what might be the issue: I think whoever installed this for you did not move the ribbon cable out of the way of the down button. It can easily get in the way of the D Pad if not carefully placed, and the result is a mushy down button!

On a side note, it is ridiculous that the installer told you this happens with loopy boards. It only happens when installers are lazy 😅. These ribbon cables are meticulously crafted with great care!
Hello. Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate it.
I fed this feedback back to the installer and they confirmed that they actually cut the excess of the ribbon cable off, so it avoids the buttons altogether.
So it doesn't appear to be an installation issue.

I'm told this only happens on some slightly more modern DS Motherboards with the latest Loopy DS Capture? If I understand it correctly.

Unfortunately I don't know enough about how these work, and don't trust myself to take apart the console to investigate...
Hopefully we find a solution soon.

I love this console, but it's virtually unplayable with a funky down button.

Please feel free to share any other ideas. I'm open too all suggestions and advice.
Thanks again and enjoy your day :)