DSi XL capture card?

harpentong

DSi XL capture card?

Post by harpentong » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:13 pm

Hello,

Just wanted to express interest in a Nintendo DSi XL capture card, which in my opinion is the best DS design ever :mrgreen: , just that the screen looks a bit more blocky due to the very low resolution and big screen, though I imagine it is easier to design a capture card for the XL model than the standard size DSi.

Just wondering if anybody else other than myself is interested as well?

Downsides:
1. You lose GBA backwards compatibility.
2. In gen 4 Pokemon games you can't record nor perform Pokemon migration from gen 3 to 4 due to the lack of the GBA slot.

Pros:
- If you want a system to also game on offstream, DSi XL is much nicer than the OG DS and has a much nicer, bigger & brighter screen.
- CFW for DSi is a thing & you can do a lot more with the operating system which means you can emulate GBA games & dump game cartridges, there are many other advantages to CFW as well.
- Nice design.
- Can use SDHC SD card for up to 32GB of storage per card.
- Access to DSiware on original hardware at native resolution with no blackborders.

It's worth noting that some of this stuff can be done on 3DS with CFW but blackborders are not fun when you do native resolution mode which I believe is 1:2 rather than 1:1 ratio. Or settle with stretched out blurry gameplay that covers the entire screen.

I wonder what Loopy's thoughts might be. I hope he will at least consider it.

I think there used to be DSi XL capture cards, but they no longer exist, I heard Katsukity used to make them, but they no longer manufacture them, also a Loopy designed capture card is always superior anyway. We used to have PSVita capture cards too (offtopic) but that's no longer a thing either unfortunately.