3ds Bottom Screen not displaying

rtro7

3ds Bottom Screen not displaying

Post by rtro7 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:07 pm

So I attempted the mod myself in the written guide, and im at the part right after soldering, where I gotta check if the 3ds is still working, the audio and top screen work just fine however the bottom screen isn’t displaying anything. The bottom touchscreen still works though. I can’t add any images because it says file too large.

Almightygold345

Re: 3ds Bottom Screen not displaying

Post by Almightygold345 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:29 am

Yeah, I had this problem too.

I bought my capture card a few weeks ago and just managed to get the soldering of the ribbon cable done, and now I'm stuck with the bottom screen not turning on as well. The touch screen works, and the top screen and the audio work just fine, but the bottom screen stays black.

I've checked the ribbon cables, and unplugged and plugged them back in, but it didn't fix the issue.

Edit: I just tried removing the ribbon cable that came with the capture card, that attaches to the bottom screen's display cable. I plugged the display cable directly into the motherboard, and the display worked just fine. I think the issue probably insecure connection.

The bottom screen went dark again when I went to plug the capture card ribbon cable back in, even checking the way the wires were facing and such.

Edit 2: I checked with the original cable again, and the screen went off again just like it had done before. I think insecure connection is the most likely cause, so I think we'll just have to try connecting the ribbon cables multiple times to get them to work.

Almightygold345

Post by Almightygold345 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:03 pm

After experimenting some and using a microscope to look up close, I found out that the issue (for me) is that one of the pins on my ZIF connector for the bottom screen LCD has been bent out of place. I'm not exactly sure how to fix it, but I'll be trying. My current, and probably only idea at the moment is to use a razor knife to press it back into place, if at all possible.

Almightygold345

Post by Almightygold345 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:56 am

rtro7 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:07 pm
So I attempted the mod myself in the written guide, and im at the part right after soldering, where I gotta check if the 3ds is still working, the audio and top screen work just fine however the bottom screen isn’t displaying anything. The bottom touchscreen still works though. I can’t add any images because it says file too large.
I figured out the issue! A pin of the connector on mine was pulled out of place, and so it didn't make the connection I needed it to. For my solution, I basically just used a razor knife, or an exact-o knife, and used the tip of the blade to push the pin back into place. After pressing it back into place, I had to push the tip of the blade in deeper, and then press up as well, to get every part of it back.

Hope this helps!!

rtro7

Post by rtro7 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:52 am

Almightygold345 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:56 am
rtro7 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:07 pm
I figured out the issue! A pin of the connector on mine was pulled out of place, and so it didn't make the connection I needed it to. For my solution, I basically just used a razor knife, or an exact-o knife, and used the tip of the blade to push the pin back into place. After pressing it back into place, I had to push the tip of the blade in deeper, and then press up as well, to get every part of it back.

Hope this helps!!
So basically what happend with mine is that, after seeing that the bottom screen wasn't displaying, I had to disconnect all the smaller cables again to access the display ribbon cables, and by doing so, I must have broken one of the connectors, because when I tested it again by powering it on, it wouldn't stay on for longer than a second. Obviously at this point I didn't really know how to fix it, so I sent it to a repair place along with the capture card, and told them the situation. They fix it a week later, apparently some motherboard issue, but they give me the capture board and the bigger ribbon cable back, and tell me that they couldn't install it because the capture board wasn't working? Weird.

My plan is for right now is (since the smaller cable is already soldered to the board), is to probably just send the board to Loopy, see what he can do. I probably don't want to mess with it again, and then it'll be another hassle to repair it again. Maybe you could send photos of the connector pin you're talking about, I might try again.

I'm not sure if Loopy will give like a discount (200USD - 120USD = 80USD), if I do decide to send it in, since I already bought the board, but if the board isn't working, then I'm not sure if he'd be willing to do that.

Almightygold345

Post by Almightygold345 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:20 am

Sorry, this is the best picture I can manage to send that doesn't go over the file size limit! I had to use a microscope to properly see it, but you can see that pin in the middle is out of place, so I used the tip of a razor knife to press it back into place before closing it down on the ribbon cable. Make sure you press whatever you use *into* the connector to make sure the WHOLE pin is pressed back into place, instead of just the front part that's showing there. The pin extends all the way back, so you have to press the whole thing up.

The image is.. a bit bright (and that's an understatement), but you can see the pin to the left of the middle is out of place, in the connector that the ribbon cable for the bottom screen plugs into.

For your situation, I’m not sure how to help. I don’t know the specifics in terms of electronic help, only which cables and plugs and etc. go where. I do wish I could help, but the best I can try to do is to share how I fixed mine.

I hope this helps! Keep me posted :D
Attachments
image_2024-04-19_021855913.png
image_2024-04-19_021855913.png (230.18 KiB) Viewed 221 times