3DS with no audio over USB

kaizhou

3DS with no audio over USB

Post by kaizhou » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:26 am

This has probably been answered about 1000+ times, but I haven't found anything matching the issue I'm having.

A little background information:
I inherited a 3DS capture card from one of my friends who recently passed away, he has had it since around 2013 and there are clips from around that time with both the video and audio working just fine.

Poking around the forums for a bit, I noticed the beta patch for audio over USB came in around 2014, so he must have recorded the audio through a line-in jack with a noise filter in between.

Since I have received it, I have applied the driver update, downloaded the latest version of the software, and installed DirectX from the link provided at the root of this site. When I open the software, the video is there and the slider appears in the settings window, but there's no audio playing through the software regardless of if I have the volume slider up or down.

I have also tried swapping through a few other USB cables along with using this on my laptop (which has no USB ports coming out of it) and I get a similar issue.

Is there something I should be doing differently? One thing I did notice is when I do a driver update, I am not sure if it's successful. I tried running it on my laptop and it got to the 5-minute timeout, but the 'Windows needs to restart' window popped up, so I restarted, tried running the driver update again and it ran for about 20-30 seconds then both the command prompt window and the little progress bar closed out.

Thank you in advance~ :)

kaizhou

Re: 3DS with no audio over USB

Post by kaizhou » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:59 pm

Update:
Found out that the capture card wasn't having a firmware update pushed to it. Downloaded the v. 3.0 .exe, ran it, then it prompted me for a firmware 'upgrade'. The sound worked right after that!

Afterwards I just switched to the latest version .exe and everything works perfectly! :D

BladeBlur

Post by BladeBlur » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:15 am

Can you tell me exactly what do you have set for your audio settings? I don't have any option for recording via USB so I am not sure what I am doing wrong exactly after following exactly what you did. My card might be from around 2013-2014 as well.

kaizhou

Post by kaizhou » Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:03 am

BladeBlur wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:15 am
Can you tell me exactly what do you have set for your audio settings? I don't have any option for recording via USB so I am not sure what I am doing wrong exactly after following exactly what you did. My card might be from around 2013-2014 as well.
I don't know if I can give a clear answer as I mainly wanted it setup for livestreaming and not necessarily recording, but I'll do the best I can to help.

I use OBS Studio if I want to record if that helps. Recording audio through the 3DS Capture executable does not work for me.
Here's what the settings window looks like for me:
I have the audio bar on the right which is enabled with that Direct X installation.
Audio settings I have the output at default, my only options are just my regular computer's audio outputs and inputs, no USB selection.

As for OBS Studio, I capture the recording under the following: Sources > Add > Window Capture. I look for [3DS_Caputre.exe]: 3DS Capture - Single.
The audio settings for OBS Studio is my default audio that I normally use.

Hopefully this sort of helps? If not, let me know and I'll see if I can help more :D