N3DS progress..

KentaZX

Re: N3DS progress..

Post by KentaZX » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:19 am

ugghh I missed it again. I didnt even get an email about that thread being updated despite subscribing..

EDIT: ah I had the old email on my account here. I deserved that.

Chroma

Post by Chroma » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:20 pm

SciGuy wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:25 am
SuperBeefJerkey wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:17 am
More money is more money, nonetheless. I don't know how his old 3DS capture kit is built, but it looks more involved, unless I'm just mistaken, so I was hoping the price would be lower on the new one. Now, I understand that he can name just about any price that he wants to, since there really isn't any competition other than Optimize (which is an option that I ruled out long ago because they're overseas and that really complicates things, even though ordering a kit from them might actually be cheaper, but I haven't checked in a while). In my case, I find it hard to justify spending that much on a mod for a console that I only spent less than $150 on (I got a beat-up used one, and fixed it up). I try to keep my spending under tight control, and this mod definitely falls under the category of "want it, don't need it." So I just don't know if I can talk myself into this one.
Of course, I'm not afraid to dig into these things myself (I've entirely rebuilt a DSi XL before with no experience or teardown guides), so the cheaper kit option is one to consider. I already have all the necessary tools (not sure if this includes any, but if so, Loopy could just leave them out). But as it stands either way, it's more than $100, and I don't know if I'd get my money's worth out of it.
Katsukity closed shop because it's now illegal to offer console modifications in Japan, so you wouldn't be able to send them to the OG shop anyway. Shops such as Delfino Customs are located in the UK, I believe, but there are a few capture card services in the states. Regardless, they all utilize reproduced Optimize boards, and they are ALL ridiculously inflated prices. I would hardly consider a $30 difference from OG3DS prices to be "shocking" or "quite a bit more" than his past boards. I don't know how you can come to the determination that one installation is more involved than the other just by looking at it, but I'd imagine the $30 difference is a result in increased labor and increased price in board manufacturing. Loopy has stated in the past his distain for the ridiculously over-priced services out there. I think he's more than earned the trust of the community in his ability to produce a fair-priced and high-quality product. Loopy's capture card boards are some of the most sought after for the DS. He could very well increase the prices and demand wouldn't change. Yet the prices still stay the same. A user just linked a site that offers a mail-in service that is $700. Now that's something to be shocked about.

After-market modifications are always going to be in the "want it, don't need it" category. If you don't have enough disposable income to comfortably put together $200 for a very much not needed thing, then it's probably not a good idea to even explore it. If you are that pressed for cash, be frugal. Learn how to micro-solder and buy a self-installation kit. Or acquire and modify an OG3DS with the cheaper self-installation kits when they become available again; an OG3DS card is the option you should have explored if you were trying to save the most money. If you can't justify it, then don't buy it. It's up to you anyway, no one's forcing you. In any case, you aren't going to find a cheaper service ANYWHERE ELSE. Period.

edit: grammar
I wanted to chime in on this and mention that when Katsukity's boards were being sold, not only were you paying more per board, but you were also taxing yourself on shipping it to Japan and waiting the additional weeks to months for it to come back. A lot of people online (and one of my local friends) also quote that these boards were insanely frail, requiring repair that of course, you had to pay your own shipping costs back to Japan. Have you ever tried to ship any product with a lithium ion battery in it from North America to Japan? This week I had an iPad I upgraded from that I just wanted to give to a good friend in Japan, and I had to spend over $200 CAD for the shipping. Imagine paying that twice on top of the capture board because the microUSB port broke within the first 6 months.

I myself went down the loopy board path, and I was lucky enough to acquire an O3DS right around the time the massive drought of boards was occurring. We legit thought that with Katsukity closing shop and loopy on the hiatus at the time, there may never be any more capture boards again. When I saw loopy return, I immediately went for the board install, and I haven't regret it once since. Simply minus the fact that I'm a very primarily Mac user and the software just doesn't work for it (my own restriction mostly), using the board as intended on a spare PC, it never once had a problem doing what it was intended to do. Board is sturdy, capture and audio good and stable too. I'd honestly argue that paying more for the long term peace of mind that it won't break down and leave you in the dust with no support is worth it; it's why I buy Mac over PC, for example.

Trust me, if you even have an inkling of a thought that you want 3DS capture for recordings or streaming, jump in while you can. Loopy won't make these forever and Katsukity is not coming back (nor is any other manufacturer in Japan). When you face the drought a lot of us did for like 3+ years when we thought the 3DS capture board scene was forever dead, the cost of the board and installation is a blessing, and honestly, very very fair for the amount of work he has to do for them. Quality work deserves it.

nickeleye

Post by nickeleye » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:49 am

What's the best way to know when the DIY install kits will be back in stock? Will this thread be updated?

Nyaako

Post by Nyaako » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:01 pm

Been testing things out and it's been so good with the New3DS capture card. Thanks Loopy for making this wonderful capture card.

PeeJayBonobo

Post by PeeJayBonobo » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:21 pm

nickeleye wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:49 am
What's the best way to know when the DIY install kits will be back in stock? Will this thread be updated?
You might want to check and subscribe to this thread for updates.
YouTube
Steam
Twitch.tv

3DS Friend Code: 0620-0287-2099
Switch Friend Code: 0545-8720-5127
PSN: PeeJay_Bonobo
NNID: PeeJay_Bonobo_87
Xbox Live: PeeJay Bonobo

AxelTheCake

Post by AxelTheCake » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:00 pm

Looks like mine is arriving today!!

gamerguy80

Post by gamerguy80 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:17 pm

I just want to say Thank You Loopy, i love my 3ds again all over.

I have a question or a suggestion rather, would it be possible to add a screen layout similar to what you can find in Citra Emulator with Top Screen on the Left and Bottom Screen on the right. Where top screen is big and bottom screen is small. Image

Nyaako

Post by Nyaako » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:53 pm

gamerguy80 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:17 pm
I just want to say Thank You Loopy, i love my 3ds again all over.

I have a question or a suggestion rather, would it be possible to add a screen layout similar to what you can find in Citra Emulator with Top Screen on the Left and Bottom Screen on the right. Where top screen is big and bottom screen is small.
You can do that by picking "Split Window" and resizing them however you want.

Exline2009

Post by Exline2009 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:56 pm

AxelTheCake wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:00 pm
How do you know yours is arriving soon? Where would you get a notification regarding that?

KingdomXIII

Post by KingdomXIII » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:01 pm

Exline2009 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:56 pm
AxelTheCake wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:00 pm
How do you know yours is arriving soon? Where would you get a notification regarding that?
I believe an email is sent with a tracking number.

I too am eagerly awaiting that shipping email 😅

Edit: I seem to have spoke it into existence! My coworker called me to tell me I just got a package delivered and I bolted for it and sure enough it was the Precious!
Last edited by KingdomXIII on Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently Streaming: Ever Oasis
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/thekingdomxiii
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/thekingdomxiii
Discord Server: https://discord.gg/pUyNkp4G
Discord Username: KingdomXIII#8326