N3DS progress..

Connix

Re: N3DS progress..

Post by Connix » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:21 pm

loopy wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:36 pm
chzxmnky wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:01 pm
Would it be possible for you to include pictures/instructions on how to add the USB charging feature to the install guide? With a disclaimer, of course, that it isn't necessarily recommended for this board revision.

I have a N3DSXL from the testing batch that I am considering opening up and adding this feature to. Thanks!
It's not part of the instructions yet, but you can see how it's done in the old pictures I posted.
https://3dscapture.com/tmp/n3ds/
What gauge wire would you recommend if I wanted to add this myself? It looks relatively straightforward

RubyOtaku

Post by RubyOtaku » Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:48 pm

Just wanna say Loopy, I am blown away by this capture card. Blows the Optimize one out the water and then some! Yeah the hardest part was definitely the shell trimming. I personally used a portable mini dremmel and after a while I managed it, but the USB C hole is slightly misaligned. Thankfully it doesn't affect anything other than aesthetics.

Have you considered adding any filter options like different scanline profiles? A pixel grid shows up when playing in 3D and when the slider is off there are horizontal scanlines and for some games this looks really nice. If that's ever a possibility I'd love to see them added sometime!

Thanks again Loopy for working on these and how transparent you've been throughout this whole process!

SHRetro

Post by SHRetro » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:46 am

loopy wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:35 pm
ShadowMario3 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:11 pm
I had the same issue when mine arrived on Monday. I have both my N3DSXL Katsukity board and new N3DSXL loopy board connected to the same (powered) USB 3.0 hub and only the Katsukity board worked whereas the loopy board had the same issue. I moved the loopy board to the USB 3.0 hub that was connected to a front panel USB instead, then it started working as expected.
Interesting. The katsukity software has other lower-bandwidth modes, I wonder if that was being used. These come pretty close to maxing out the USB (2.0) bandwidth, so it can make a difference where things are plugged in.

I did get all four (Two Reg. 3DS, Two New 3DS) to work last night when I got my two PCI x1 USB 3.0 cards but it was annoying to get it work fully, I had to plug one cable into one USB Card, another one into the other USB Card, one in a lower USB port on the motherboard and one in an upper USB port on the motherboard. Would there be a way to introduce a lower bandwidth mode in the software, so I could run all four off one only on PCI USB Card

Edit (I can plug both O3DSes into the same PCI Card)
Attachments
image-min.png
image-min.png (178.78 KiB) Viewed 6488 times

buzzdennis

Post by buzzdennis » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:45 am

loopy wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:56 pm

What would be most useful to you? I'm pretty new to the CNC world. I used Fusion360 to do the cutting stuff. I can share design files from that, or export an stl file, or ... whatever you need.

The install guide is mostly done (enough that you should be able to get through it all, at least). I've gotten surprisingly little feedback so far on self-installs. I'm not sure what to make of that.
I would be incredibly grateful if you could provide an stl file of a jig I could use with a dremel router. The case modification itself is the primary reason I haven't attempted to install my kit. I know that if I free handed it, it would look like garbage lol. So that's why I personally haven't offered any feedback yet on a self-install.

Jakstalgia

Post by Jakstalgia » Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:22 am

loopy wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:36 pm
chzxmnky wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:01 pm
Would it be possible for you to include pictures/instructions on how to add the USB charging feature to the install guide? With a disclaimer, of course, that it isn't necessarily recommended for this board revision.

I have a N3DSXL from the testing batch that I am considering opening up and adding this feature to. Thanks!
It's not part of the instructions yet, but you can see how it's done in the old pictures I posted.
https://3dscapture.com/tmp/n3ds/
Can't find the original post where you discussed this, but what were the main concerns again with including this feature on the current batch of boards?

triple_lei

Post by triple_lei » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:44 pm

Jakstalgia wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:22 am
Can't find the original post where you discussed this, but what were the main concerns again with including this feature on the current batch of boards?
loopy wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:21 am
About charging over USB.

At maximum load (capture card active, while charging a dead battery) the 3DS can pull nearly 1A of current, that's twice what the USB2.0 spec allows. Odds are good that most computers are ok with it anyway, but I'd rather play it safe. I can add some current limiting circuitry later, but these boards don't have it. USB3 ports allow for more power. This is only about staying inside USB2 specs.

So, UNLESS you tell me you want them added in, I'm going to leave the charging wires unconnected.
My take: technically, we always could have charged with USB... using a separate third-party USB charging cable that utilized the 3DS charging port. But the official power brick is the safest and best so I just use that. We never complained about it before the capture cards!

DarthJonah

Post by DarthJonah » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:52 pm

I'm not sure if this has been detailed elsewhere, but I got my console back and just realized I have no clue on what to do next.
I remember something about a specific software, being needed, but I'll also probably need an adapter to plug the console into my laptop.
I'd be grateful for any help.

Cole_Clawheart

Post by Cole_Clawheart » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:15 pm

Just got mine in today, but I’m definitely going to need a tutorial on how to use it

triple_lei

Post by triple_lei » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:31 pm

The obvious: First-time setup
  1. Download and install the driver (Driver for New3DSXL): https://3dscapture.com/
  2. Download the application (also at https://3dscapture.com/ ), unzip 3ds_capture.exe somewhere, and run it.
  3. Power on your N3DSXL if it isn't already on. Find the included USB-C cable. The smaller end (USB Type C) goes in the new port on your modified N3DSXL near the IR port, and the other end (USB Type A) goes to your computer. The first time you do this, you'll be prompted to update the firmware on your computer. Set the N3DSXL down somewhere so you don't knock the cable out and then click update. Should take less than a minute. Don't remove the USB cable until you see your screen on your computer! Or, you know, leave the USB cable connected to continue actually using the application.
  4. As an aside, don't lose the USB cable loopy gave you. It's a good quality cable and not all USB-C cables are the same.
The less obvious: Recording
  1. You can manipulate the displays any which way. Try it yourself by right-clicking on the display window and seeing what's there. Not everything is available right now but the important stuff is, which is why loopy is doing installations right now instead of developing new firmware features.
  2. Don't forget you can hold Start before starting certain games (NDS games and some Virtual Console games) to launch them in their native resolution for a smaller but sharper picture.
  3. The USB connection provides audio along with the video but using the viewer app to record with audio is another matter. To be honest, I gave up rather quickly and just used Bandicam which works fine.
  4. If you're the streamer type (I ain't), you want OBS to do the recording. At least that's what the kids do these days.
  5. For the occasional one-off YouTube vid, I like messing around with AviSynth and encoding with MeGui. But that's way beyond the scope of this "tutorial."

DarthJonah

Post by DarthJonah » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:45 pm

triple_lei wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:31 pm
The obvious: First-time setup
  1. Download and install the driver (Driver for New3DSXL): https://3dscapture.com/
  2. Download the application (also at https://3dscapture.com/ ), unzip 3ds_capture.exe somewhere, and run it.
  3. Power on your N3DSXL if it isn't already on. Find the included USB-C cable. The smaller end (USB Type C) goes in the new port on your modified N3DSXL near the IR port, and the other end (USB Type A) goes to your computer. The first time you do this, you'll be prompted to update the firmware on your computer. Set the N3DSXL down somewhere so you don't knock the cable out and then click update. Should take less than a minute. Don't remove the USB cable until you see your screen on your computer! Or, you know, leave the USB cable connected to continue actually using the application.
  4. As an aside, don't lose the USB cable loopy gave you. It's a good quality cable and not all USB-C cables are the same.
The less obvious: Recording
  1. You can manipulate the displays any which way. Try it yourself by right-clicking on the display window and seeing what's there. Not everything is available right now but the important stuff is, which is why loopy is doing installations right now instead of developing new firmware features.
  2. Don't forget you can hold Start before starting certain games (NDS games and some Virtual Console games) to launch them in their native resolution for a smaller but sharper picture.
  3. The USB connection provides audio along with the video but using the viewer app to record with audio is another matter. To be honest, I gave up rather quickly and just used Bandicam which works fine.
  4. If you're the streamer type (I ain't), you want OBS to do the recording. At least that's what the kids do these days.
  5. For the occasional one-off YouTube vid, I like messing around with AviSynth and encoding with MeGui. But that's way beyond the scope of this "tutorial."
Thanks, I was mostly just confused where to download the driver and application. I got a USB-C to USB-C cable, so I assume I'll need some kind of adapter?