DS Capture card in DS lite (Theoretically)

SleuthQ

DS Capture card in DS lite (Theoretically)

Post by SleuthQ » Fri May 08, 2020 5:46 pm

If I managed to wire up the connections to a ds lite would it work? I know they are very similar but I'm wondering if they have different pin outs or something that would prevent compatibility.

booleangemini

Re: DS Capture card in DS lite (Theoretically)

Post by booleangemini » Fri May 08, 2020 6:29 pm

Ds lite cap cards are a no no
Last edited by booleangemini on Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

triple_lei

Post by triple_lei » Fri May 08, 2020 7:38 pm

If neither loopy nor Katsukity were offering a DS Lite capture card mod, then the reason it hasn't been done yet probably isn't "no one thought of it"... and anyway, there's this old post:
loopy wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:31 pm
Extrasklep wrote:How does the board capture both screens of the DS when it’s connected to only one screen cable? Does the DS output information for both screens with both cables?
Yes. Pixel data for top/bottom screens is sent on opposite clock edges.
Interestingly, this is only true for the DS Phat, the screen signals are separated on later models. Main reason why I never bothered supporting DS Lite, it complicates the design a lot. At least, that's what I recall from eons ago when I worked on it ...

Gymnast544

Post by Gymnast544 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:05 pm

It just isn't worth their time to make a DS Lite capture card. A few reasons for this:
1. There aren't touch-points on the DS Lite motherboard for the screen data (other than the clock signals). This would make it a pain to develop on, since all prototypes would have to be started with something to intercept the screen signal, rather than just connect it to the touchpoints on the motherboard. Loopy's prototyping for the DS (and 3DS I think) was done soldering to the touchpoints on the DS motherboard.
2. The DS Lite is smaller. There isn't as much space inside to put a whole board in the console, so there would be most likely a shell modification needed, just adding more work.
3. There would most likely need to be 2 flex cables intercepted, instead of just 1 for the DS Phat. This is because not all the data goes through the same wire. Installation would be much harder for a DS Lite capture card because of this, and it would be much more complicated.
4. There's a really good capture card for the DS phat. Loopy isn't going to make that much more money making a whole new capture card design for what is essentially the same console but smaller.

The DS Phat and DS Lite capture cards have different pinouts, so you wouldn't be able to just wire it up to get it to work. You would need a completely different board iteration.

Making a capture card is pretty hard, which is why you haven't seen numerous people making them. I myself am working on a DSi capture card (I have all the screen timing synced up with my board, just working on finalizing the reading of the signal). It's quite hard to do this, but DSi is significantly easier than DS Lite, because there are touchpoints on the motherboard so I don't need to intercept the screen signals, I just have to solder wires to the motherboard touchpoints. I also know what every pin is, and don't have to do detective work to figure out the function of each touchpoint. Updates for the DSi capture card here: https://discord.gg/ZPm88yV