Sooooo.....

montejeu

Re: Sooooo.....

Post by montejeu » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:48 pm

Another loopy card on sale at ebay for $1100. I don't see many people actually buying them. At around $500 the capture cards were selling quickly. Hopefully the new batch will come soon and people don't have to pay an absurd amount. For $200 for board and installation is a steal.

Greenalink

Post by Greenalink » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:16 pm

kronic_failure wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:37 pm

edit 2:
Drop the recording feature. (Let people use OBS to record the video instead of the built in feature that is currently there.
A 2GB file limit isn't practical for multi hour recordings).
No.
Version 2.8 back in 2013 removed the 2GB limit.
https://3dscapture.com/changelog.html

Some of my Super Mario 3D Land Raw footage that was 3 hours long from 2014/2015 was like roughly 100gb when using Lagarith.
Keep the recording feature, no need to run an extra 3rd party program to record footage.

AaronS6799

Post by AaronS6799 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:29 pm

Greenalink wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:16 pm
kronic_failure wrote:

edit 2:
Drop the recording feature. (Let people use OBS to record the video instead of the built in feature that is currently there.
No.

Some of my Super Mario 3D Land Raw footage that was 3 hours long from 2014/2015 was like roughly 100gb when using Lagarith.
Keep the recording feature, no need to run an extra 3rd party program to record footage.
But you would need a 3rd party program to do live-streams with it

kronic_failure

Post by kronic_failure » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:58 am

Greenalink wrote:
kronic_failure wrote:

edit 2:
No.

What dark age do you live in? Having a built in recorder was probably nice to have 20 years ago when twitch and other live streaming services weren't around or just starting. It is pointless to have the record feature when you have to use OBS or similar app to live stream. I haven't seen many people only use only the raw recordings on youtube for a lets play vid, the majority of them have a template layout and that is only possible through a 3rd party program and zero on twitch because it is a steaming site which requires a 3rd party program to use.

AaronS6799

Post by AaronS6799 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:57 pm

kronic_failure wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:58 am
Greenalink wrote:
kronic_failure wrote:

edit 2:
No.

What dark age do you live in? Having a built in recorder was probably nice to have 20 years ago when twitch and other live streaming services weren't around or just starting. It is pointless to have the record feature when you have to use OBS or similar app to live stream. I haven't seen many people only use only the raw recordings on youtube for a lets play vid, the majority of them have a template layout and that is only possible through a 3rd party program and zero on twitch because it is a steaming site which requires a 3rd party program to use.
My point exactly. I may not have a 3ds capture board myself, but I use a software mod (I apologize if what I'm saying doesn't belong on here) called NTR CFW, which only works on the newer 3ds family of systems, such as the 3ds xl. Basically, NTR CFW allows you to wirelessly stream your new 3ds to your pc over an internet connection. Which is cheaper if you can't afford a capture board. No offense intended to Loopy or anyone on this thread. I use OBS and SLOBS (Streamlabs OBS) to capture and stream with NTR CFW. It's basically the same thing with 3ds/2ds/ds capture cards. I do plan to hopefully get a 3DS Capture Card one day because while NTR CFW may be a cheaper option, it does take up bandwidth when a game online/streaming/recording. And my internet provider only provides 1 tb of data to me and my family.

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:13 pm

kronic_failure wrote:
With the new board, does that mean the viewer program will need an update to detect the new capturecard?

If possible can we get a ras pi version of the app, that way people play directly to a TV without the use of a large stationary computer. If possible, to have all the settings in a config file that people can edit so it doesn't act like Kat's version where you had to change the settings every time before you use it on the pi. The majority of the command line switches in Kat's version doesn't even work.

edit 1:
Features/settings in the ras pi version that will likely need to be in there:
A scaler setting (having a 1:1 pixel display is just wasted space on the TV)
Rotation setting either 90 degrees and/or the 180 degrees
View either the top or lower screen only
Yes, a ras pi version would be nice to have.
kronic_failure wrote:
edit 2:
Requested features in the windows app:
A scaling setting (having a 1:1 pixel display on a 4K monitor is probably worse than looking at the 3DS itself)
Drop the recording feature. (Let people use OBS to record the video instead of the built in feature that is currently there. A 2GB file limit isn't practical for multi hour recordings)
Rotation setting like in the ras pi suggestion.
Yes, the software sorely needs an update. I haven't touched it in 5 years.
What do you mean by a scaling setting?
I agree about the recording. Maybe leave what's there, but putting more work into it is not worth the time, there are better options. Trying to match features of OBS, etc is a waste of time. What I _would_ like to do is have a driver that presents the capture card as a standard video input device so other software can grab the feed directly instead of capturing a window.

Greenalink

Post by Greenalink » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:03 pm

kronic_failure wrote:

Various websites like Digital Foundry rely on raw recordings and don't use fancy template layouts.

Here's the thing, most of my well-known content online isn't from live streaming which means I don't use OBS.
I'm not a Let's Player, I'm a speedrunner and video comparison master.
While speedrunning is popular on Twitch I would rather have the RAW quality, no commentary footage along with it for later use like a WR history video, etc.

I can record and edit content without the need for a constant internet connection and depending on a full time live streaming schedule, not every follower will watch it live due to time zone differences.

Videos that were recorded from Loopy's AVI recording feature.
Super Mario 3D Land speedrun
https://youtu.be/Lw_4qV0xBtU

Super Mario 64 - Changes from N64 to 3DS - Fun fact I used both a DS Capture and 3DS Capture to record .VS mode content (see 1:52:06)
https://youtu.be/vlCmbSAQBmg?t=20

WarioWare Inc (original) vs WarioWare Gold Microgame comparison. GBA Original was recorded by using a modified DS Phat with raw AVI recordings (looks miles better than the awful 480i Gameboy Player)..
https://youtu.be/sEdhz5LzdW4

WarioWare Twisted vs WarioWare Gold Microgame comparison. - GBA Twisted was recorded by using a modified DS Phat with raw AVI recordings.
https://youtu.be/_34SnP8JTUk

WarioWare Smooth Moves vs WarioWare Gold Microgame comparison
https://youtu.be/J0yL03VwUk4

I'm planning to make the long-awaited Majora's Mask Changes from N64 to 3DS and having a new3DS XL capture will be very handy for the in-game camera control thanks to the C-Stick.

kronic_failure

Post by kronic_failure » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:14 pm

loopy wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:13 pm
kronic_failure wrote:
With the new board, does that mean the viewer program will need an update to detect the new capturecard?

If possible can we get a ras pi version of the app, that way people play directly to a TV without the use of a large stationary computer. If possible, to have all the settings in a config file that people can edit so it doesn't act like Kat's version where you had to change the settings every time before you use it on the pi. The majority of the command line switches in Kat's version doesn't even work.

edit 1:
Features/settings in the ras pi version that will likely need to be in there:
A scaler setting (having a 1:1 pixel display is just wasted space on the TV)
Rotation setting either 90 degrees and/or the 180 degrees
View either the top or lower screen only
Yes, a ras pi version would be nice to have.
kronic_failure wrote:
edit 2:
Requested features in the windows app:
A scaling setting (having a 1:1 pixel display on a 4K monitor is probably worse than looking at the 3DS itself)
Drop the recording feature. (Let people use OBS to record the video instead of the built in feature that is currently there. A 2GB file limit isn't practical for multi hour recordings)
Rotation setting like in the ras pi suggestion.
Yes, the software sorely needs an update. I haven't touched it in 5 years.
What do you mean by a scaling setting?
I agree about the recording. Maybe leave what's there, but putting more work into it is not worth the time, there are better options. Trying to match features of OBS, etc is a waste of time. What I _would_ like to do is have a driver that presents the capture card as a standard video input device so other software can grab the feed directly instead of capturing a window.
Probably the best thing to describe scaling as a preset ratios of the display.

In a ras pi version, this type of presets display ratio would be more useful. On a computer, this would be more useful for the person to look at the comp screen than the 3ds screen when playing.

One of the things is that people has different screens and different screen sizes. On a computer, a window size scaler for viewing would be also good to have. I have a one of those ultra wide monitors with a screen res of 3440x1440. With the Kat capturecard, I have to use a window screen adj setting of 2x, I believe your viewer is set to 1x window size by default when launched. I also got a setup with a 4K monitor with a 3840x2160 screen res and I use the 3x screen adj to play on that.

A window scaler doesn't apply when you use fullscreen mode, like in a ras pi setup unless your using one of the GUI ras setups.

---

A Window scaler is probably more important down the road when everyone has like 20K monitors or the equivalent and/or is 10+ years later, long after you stop making these.
Last edited by kronic_failure on Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kronic_failure

Post by kronic_failure » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:36 pm

Greenalink wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:03 pm
kronic_failure wrote:

Various websites like Digital Foundry rely on raw recordings and don't use fancy template layouts.

Here's the thing, most of my well-known content online isn't from live streaming which means I don't use OBS.
I'm not a Let's Player, I'm a speedrunner and video comparison master.
While speedrunning is popular on Twitch I would rather have the RAW quality, no commentary footage along with it for later use like a WR history video, etc.

I can record and edit content without the need for a constant internet connection and depending on a full time live streaming schedule, not every follower will watch it live due to time zone differences.

Videos that were recorded from Loopy's AVI recording feature.
Super Mario 3D Land speedrun
https://youtu.be/Lw_4qV0xBtU

Super Mario 64 - Changes from N64 to 3DS - Fun fact I used both a DS Capture and 3DS Capture to record .VS mode content (see 1:52:06)
https://youtu.be/vlCmbSAQBmg?t=20

WarioWare Inc (original) vs WarioWare Gold Microgame comparison. GBA Original was recorded by using a modified DS Phat with raw AVI recordings (looks miles better than the awful 480i Gameboy Player)..
https://youtu.be/sEdhz5LzdW4

WarioWare Twisted vs WarioWare Gold Microgame comparison. - GBA Twisted was recorded by using a modified DS Phat with raw AVI recordings.
https://youtu.be/_34SnP8JTUk

WarioWare Smooth Moves vs WarioWare Gold Microgame comparison
https://youtu.be/J0yL03VwUk4

I'm planning to make the long-awaited Majora's Mask Changes from N64 to 3DS and having a new3DS XL capture will be very handy for the in-game camera control thanks to the C-Stick.
Your missing the point of a live stream, you capture everything you do including all your screwups and no post processing for x period of time. Post processing and editing is still a non-live mentality. A viewer's preference is not a consideration, this is the streamer preference or mentality.

Greenalink

Post by Greenalink » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:20 pm

kronic_failure wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:36 pm
You're missing the point of a live stream, you capture everything you do including all your screwups and no post processing for x period of time. Post processing and editing is still a non-live mentality. A viewer's preference is not a consideration, this is the streamer preference or mentality.
What is nice about the 3DS low 400x480 (dual) / 400x240 (single) resolution is that with the right raw codec will produce a smaller file size than a 16:9 480p/720p/1080p live stream. Heck encoding 480p/240p videos to mp4 is a breeze.
Making comparisons videos (me) is a non-live production, this is the documentary/video product preference/mentality :D

TLDR
I like making videos that do not rely on live streaming methods, you on the other hand do.
Let's shake e-hands and move on.