When will capture cards be back in stock?

802nintendo

When will capture cards be back in stock?

Post by 802nintendo » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:31 am

Looking to buy a capture when will they be back in stock??

loopy
Site Admin

Re: When will capture cards be back in stock?

Post by loopy » Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:15 am

My best realistic guess for DS is 2-3 months. Work on it is basically done, it just takes time for everything to come together. I'm putting in the first large order of flex cables now. That'll take 2-3 weeks to get in. "Final" prototype boards are on the way, I'll test them once the cables are in. Then another month to get boards made. Chinese New Year will probably push things back a couple weeks. I'm not anticipating any delays from part shortages but you never know.

Work on 3DS is finally moving along again. I won't try to guess when it'll be ready. The hardware feels like it's close to being done. There's still a fair amount of dev work to do, the design has changed significantly from the original board. I got a new batch in last week that I'm testing out now. Maybe in a couple weeks I'll have something I can show off.

theskipster

Post by theskipster » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:26 am

loopy wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:15 am
My best realistic guess for DS is 2-3 months. Work on it is basically done, it just takes time for everything to come together. I'm putting in the first large order of flex cables now. That'll take 2-3 weeks to get in. "Final" prototype boards are on the way, I'll test them once the cables are in. Then another month to get boards made. Chinese New Year will probably push things back a couple weeks. I'm not anticipating any delays from part shortages but you never know.

Work on 3DS is finally moving along again. I won't try to guess when it'll be ready. The hardware feels like it's close to being done. There's still a fair amount of dev work to do, the design has changed significantly from the original board. I got a new batch in last week that I'm testing out now. Maybe in a couple weeks I'll have something I can show off.
Any plans to restock OG 3DS capcards at all?

EDIT: And wait, are the DS capcards being remade from scratch by the sounds of it? Thought just the 3DS was being redone, but maybe I just missed that announcement.

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:25 am

Not from scratch, I had to change how it's installed.The connector that goes to the LCD isn't produced anymore, I can't use the same easy plug-in method. There wasn't really an announcement, but I wrote a little more here.

I don't know what's next for 3DS. Maybe I should make a poll :P

theskipster

Post by theskipster » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:28 am

loopy wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:25 am
Not from scratch, I had to change how it's installed.The connector that goes to the LCD isn't produced anymore, I can't use the same easy plug-in method. There wasn't really an announcement, but I wrote a little more here.

I don't know what's next for 3DS. Maybe I should make a poll :P
Thanks for the reply! So the new DS capcard will be essentially the same functionality as old one, no need to buy one of the new ones when it comes if you have an old one right? I ordered a couple a bit over a month ago, but haven't been able to ship them to you yet (had family troubles to deal with), should hopefully ship them to you soon, and didn't want to have it be outdated in a few months lol. As for the 3DS, a poll would be awesome, I personally have an o3DS that I've been sitting on that I would love to have a capture card for.

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:35 am

Functionality is exactly the same.

Rkfan

Post by Rkfan » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:35 pm

A poll would be great! But I hope that at least some OG 3DS is still an option at some point because I have a wonderful device waiting to have a capture card installed!

EliasMorals

Post by EliasMorals » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:45 am

loopy wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:15 am

Is this for an OG 3DS or the XL (or is it new 3ds? I'm not sure)

Since I bought an OG 3DS a whole back and I was hoping to still be able to capcard that one still.

kmenzel

Post by kmenzel » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:22 pm

I also hope that there is eventually an OG3DS restock, as I'm hoping to someday get my wife the capture card her 3DS deserves...

Dekar

Post by Dekar » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:59 pm

Is there perhaps a mailing list of sort for when the original fat ds cards come back in stock? Just learned about this recently and am a little bummed to find they are all sold out. If not, I can always check back from time to time, but hoping I don't miss out. Thank you for all your hard work!