Software Issues and 2 Questions

Darrell3h

Software Issues and 2 Questions

Post by Darrell3h » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:24 am

I got the 3DS Capture Board about a month ago. Yesterday it had a small drop off of the Kid Icarus Stand(It was a small fall, no physical damage as afar as I can tell and no broken circuit boards wiggling around when shaking for play coins) The problem is that it still connects to the software properly and displays on screen with no delay, but won't record. Everytime I try, it will immediately say 'Stopped' and no footage will be present. Another issue I have been having is an audio delay when I plug the AUX into the microphone jack and try to listen to it via the computer speakers with a headset. The actual audio isn't delayed. It is just the playback by the speakers.(i've checked for this on separate Laptops as well for the audio problem)Think of it like a audio event happens in-game and the audio event will still be recorded naturally on the recording, but if you hear it over the speakers of the computer, it will be a short delay for the headphones. I have last question I have is how are you able to record the separate screens of the software as separate videos? Sorry for spamming the issue and have a good day :D
Attachments
Capture.JPG
The 'Stopped' file number will keep on rising every time I hit Record
Capture.JPG (131.46 KiB) Viewed 1746 times

Minimit

Re: Software Issues and 2 Questions

Post by Minimit » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:49 am

The playback lag might be your computer and speaker setup having a natural delay. As for the second question about recording the different screens most people edit their videos to achieve the look of separate screens.

Darrell3h

Post by Darrell3h » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:17 am

1.I know about the natural delay, I am wondering if there is a way to bypass it.
2.I know how to edit them to appear as separate screens as well.
3. My main issue is with the program not recording video. Even when the 3DS is unplugged, it doesn't even record the black screen like it did when I was waiting for the board to come in for some tests.

raphael

Post by raphael » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:08 am

It's probably you using a bad video codec. Some video codecs just don't work and cause the exact problem you are
having. But it's strange that it was working before. Anyway, you should use either
  • Lagarith, if possible. It's a lossless codec, so it will record in the best quality possible, but it will produce very large files (about half of a gigabyte per minute).
    Use this if space is not an issue and your CPU can handle Lagarith.
  • x264. It's very configurable and you can set how much CPU it should use and the bitrate it produces.
The default settings of the Lagarith codec are fine.

Here is my recommendation on what x264 settings to use:
x264config.png
x264 recommended config
x264config.png (52.07 KiB) Viewed 1711 times
Preset: Determines how much CPU time the encoder uses. "Veryfast" is usually fine, but you can set it to something slower if you have a really good CPU. It would improve quality without creating larger files.
Ratefactor: Determines the quality and file size - lower is higher quality and larger files. A ratefactor of 12 looks probably as lossless as it gets with x264
Zero latency: Improves framerate when doing live encodings
Tuning: It's complicated
Rate control: Leave this at "Single pass - ratefactor based (CRF)" for live recordings

Hope this helps.

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:49 am

Darrell3h wrote:3. My main issue is with the program not recording video. Even when the 3DS is unplugged, it doesn't even record the black screen like it did when I was waiting for the board to come in for some tests.
Check your codec settings. They may have gotten messed up somehow. Set it to a different codec and change it back. If that won't fix it, delete the settings file.

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\DS Capture\3ds_capture.cfg
(or type %APPDATA%\DS Capture in the address bar)

On audio lag - I'm not sure if this will help but you can try it. On some sound cards, the "Listen to.." setting is using some kind of software pass-thru mechanism that adds delay, try enabling it through your speaker settings instead (use one or the other, NOT BOTH).
Image Image

Darrell3h

Post by Darrell3h » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:08 pm

I was able to fix the audio delay issue by doing this:
(This Was Bugging Me For A While As The Aux Splitter Sucks)
The /%AppData%/Roaming/ deletion worked.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
It is recording again and altering the microphone settings in the speaker actually took care of the audio delay and removed the need of having to use 'Listen to this device'
Capture.JPG (92.93 KiB) Viewed 1694 times