Another audio issue thread! Yay! :)

AeroTheManiac

Another audio issue thread! Yay! :)

Post by AeroTheManiac » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:30 pm

Yes, I understand audio is a frequent issue here, and believe it or not, I've actually read through several threads from start to finish, none having a similar issue.

I have a 3DS with the recorder installed, and the audio plays on the computer, but it doesn't record. So obviously, I went out and got that little audio cord (it has the headphone-jack-styled end on both sides). I plug one end into the 3DS and one into the microphone port on my laptop.

It actually does record audio, but here's the thing.. It records it soo quietly, with a buzzing noise that overwhelms the game audio. It's actually just better to record without the audio because of the inconvenience. If you'd like a video format of the issue so you can hear and stuff, let me know and I'll make one up really quickly.

Anyhoo, thanks for reading.
Aero

Re: Another audio issue thread! Yay! :)

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:25 am

You need to plug in a ground loop isolator to the 3DS headphone jack and the audio cable running from the isolator to your pc - this should eliminate the signal noise that you hear.

More recently however, the capture card now supports audio over USB, which generally is an easier option.

Unless you were an audiophile, you might have a sound card with a good DAC that might deliver better quality sound, but for the majority of users USB sound is both easy to set up and the quality between that and using analog would be pretty hard to distinguish.

Lumario

Post by Lumario » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:26 am

Guest wrote:You need to plug in a ground loop isolator to the 3DS headphone jack and the audio cable running from the isolator to your pc - this should eliminate the signal noise that you hear.

More recently however, the capture card now supports audio over USB, which generally is an easier option.

Unless you were an audiophile, you might have a sound card with a good DAC that might deliver better quality sound, but for the majority of users USB sound is both easy to set up and the quality between that and using analog would be pretty hard to distinguish.
Me posting as a guest? (probably cookie issues with my browser, wouldn't surprise me)...

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:29 pm

Check your recording volume.
The buzzing noise is interference from the USB port, it can be cleared up with something like this or this. I used to include a noise filter with the capture board, but I stopped once audio capture over USB was implemented.

I suppose a loopback would also work (connect your line-out to line-in), that should get rid of the buzzing noise.

AeroTheManiac

Post by AeroTheManiac » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:20 pm

Excellent, thank you. Unless you need some sort of setting to be checked for capturing audio over USB, mine doesn't do it.. So that's why I resulted into buying the other cable. Thanks a ton :)

AeroTheManiac

Post by AeroTheManiac » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:38 pm

Here's a screenie of my recording devices with all disabled devices shown. :/
http://prntscr.com/4yrumk

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:46 pm

I see disconnected... what about disabled? It's the same?

AeroTheManiac

Post by AeroTheManiac » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:22 pm

Oops, that was the intention of the screenie originally.. lmao.

http://prntscr.com/4yxkuq