Worth waiting on 2DS/XL, or order regular 3DS capture card?

ggreen

Worth waiting on 2DS/XL, or order regular 3DS capture card?

Post by ggreen » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:17 pm

Howdy,

I am looking at ordering a capture card for my 3DS, but wondering whether it is worth waiting on the eventual release of a 2DS/3DS XL board, or whether I should just get one for the regular 3DS?

Previously I had ordered an XL board installation from Katsukity, and after I moved overseas from Australia, the capture board stopped being recognized by my computer (damaged in move?). Anyway, in order for it to be repaired, I would need to spend $60-$80 to get it over to Japan, and then spend at LEAST $69, possibly more depending on the problem, since Katsukity doesn't offer any sort of discounted repair or warranty on installs. And he won't give me any estimates on how much various repairs costs, he wants to have the unit with him and get money before sending it back. Not bad considering I only got maybe 4 weeks of use out of it before I had problems. Another $149+ to get it looked at for work just seems too much, especially after paying the steep price of entry anyway. And I heard that he will sell sent-in units if people dispute payment requests, or don't pay.

Preferably I'd be up for getting the unit repaired/replaced on my XL, or possibly wait for a 2DS if they are in the near future, but getting my regular 3DS with a board installed is another option if the other 2 are off in the distant future.

>_< Wish I had just gone with Loopy in the first place. Have not been disappointing at all with the DS Capture board I ordered a few months back, and the work and support seems much better than what the competition offers.

loopy
Site Admin

Re: Worth waiting on 2DS/XL, or order regular 3DS capture ca

Post by loopy » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:58 pm

I suppose it depends on how long you're willing to wait.
I'm trying to finish up the XL design this month. It'll be at least another month to get a batch of them built. ...Though I could pay extra to get a short run of boards done sooner. I'll decide on that later, it depends on the timing. 2DS should come shortly after that. It won't be much work, it's essentially the same, just a different board shape.

I've done repairs on katsukity boards before, but since you're in Australia it might not be worth it (shipping costs and shipping delays..)

ggreen

Post by ggreen » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:06 pm

Well being in the near future sounds promising. The 2DS is a sure thing is it? I have wanted to invest in one as my "at home" unit whilst the XL (or 3DS if it is what I get) can be taken out.

You do repairs on Katsukity's boards? I am now located in the U.S, I moved a few months ago. I imagine interstate shipping is less than $80 :P. I haven't had the pleasure of dealing with the USPS too much really lol.

izmaster244

Post by izmaster244 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:55 pm

I recently picked up a 2DS, and yeah, I'd totally be okay with getting another one with a capture card built in it. Just let me know when it's getting close to being done. :D

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:03 am

So, if I send in my 3DS and you install the board for me, will it affect the memory or software on it?

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:55 am

Guest wrote:So, if I send in my 3DS and you install the board for me, will it affect the memory or software on it?
No, it won't affect any settings or software on the 3DS (except for the time and date, since the battery is taken out).

Sutivu

Post by Sutivu » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:01 pm

I have one question : in your design on the 3DS XL, the capture card are inside the original case this time? Like Katsu Kity's design.

AndrewHamel

Post by AndrewHamel » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:02 am

Is there a way I can sign up for like, a newsletter or something that notifies me when 2DS capture boards are available? I'm very excited for this.

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:12 pm

Sutivu wrote:I have one question : in your design on the 3DS XL, the capture card are inside the original case this time? Like Katsu Kity's design.
Yes it's internal, like katsukity's.
AndrewHamel wrote:Is there a way I can sign up for like, a newsletter or something that notifies me when 2DS capture boards are available? I'm very excited for this.
Newsletter? I suppose I could email you. It won't be for a couple more months, at least.

Sutivu

Post by Sutivu » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:55 pm

loopy wrote:Yes it's internal, like katsukity's.
Wow, cant wait :ugeek: . This mean that the circle pad can be use? :).