Details about using it as a display

jayare

Re: Details about using it as a display

Post by jayare » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:26 pm

Yeah, sadly, that would be no benefit to me since I use SDTV.
I COULD use that, however, with a capture card that does real time 60fps capture (which I already use often anyway) But still, it's too expensive for me... the PS2 component cables are less than $10. If it was like that for the GameCube as well, I would have used the GB Player instead. But I mean... The gamecube CAN output good signals!
Zelda 1 and 2 on the Zelda collection do this perfectly fine.

Why couldn't Nintendo just do the same for GB Player, when Zelda did this properly?
I will never accept that.

jayare

Post by jayare » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:44 am

So i've gotten the capture card and successfully installed it!

Now that my questions have been answered by personal experience, I have actually encountered problems!

So it seems that there is no input lag :D (or at least, it's way too small to notice. It seems real 100% real time when I put the DS next to the computer)
But now I have a weird issue.
I have 2 computers.

1. Windows XP, Core 2 Duo
2. Windows 7, Core i3

I tested it on my Windows XP computer, and it seems to run perfectly smooth, with the exception that there comes a screen tearing.
It lasts 1 second without screen tear, then the screen tear comes slowly from the top to bottom and lasts 3 seconds.

It doesn't bother me much, and I assumed that my Core i3 computer would do better. It doesn't!! There's a lot more screen tearing AND lots of frame drops.
It's not ok to play there.
So I was wondering, is there any adjustments to do on any of my computers?

I'm thinking this is due to the fact that my WinXP is 32 bit, and my Windows 7 is 64 bit, AND the capture software is 32 bit.
Any confirmation or help on this?

Edit: And one more thing, is there a way to disable the filtering that comes from resizing the window?
There are cases where games look better if they looked pixely rather than softened.

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:28 pm

Probably just a vsync issue. On Windows 7, set your monitor to 60Hz and enable wait for vsync (vertical refresh) if you have that option in your video card settings. Not sure if I can do anything about it from the software. Vsync in windowed mode isn't really supported in Windows (last time I checked, anyway) but there are some hacky ways around that.

jayare

Post by jayare » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:38 pm

I didn't even know that there were any video cards with v-sync! And i've messed a lot with these things. I'll look for it then. Thanks!

And is there anything that can be done about the interpolation softening when resizing the window?

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:44 pm

Yeah, I can change that. It's already an option in the 3DS software. I haven't gotten around to updating the DS code.

jayare

Post by jayare » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:03 pm

That is awesome news!!!
I just looked at the 3DS software and noticed it.
Thank you so much :D can't wait for the DS update.

As for the V-sync, i've just looked at my Windows 7 computer which has an NVidia card, with a Vsync option for apps. It did nothing.
Will post again if I find out how to improve it.

Post by Guest » Thu May 22, 2014 12:39 am

Not to push you, loopy, but when should I expect the update on the DS software?
I can wait long, just want to know when to expect it!
I really would only like to play once it's updated.
Thanks!

jayare

Post by jayare » Fri May 23, 2014 6:15 pm

Darn, that post by a guest was actually made by me accidentally not logged in. Didn't want to double post, but I can't delete it. So when should I expect the update on the DS software to include point based scaling?

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Mon May 26, 2014 1:09 am

Guest wrote:Not to push you, loopy, but when should I expect the update on the DS software?
I can wait long, just want to know when to expect it!
I really would only like to play once it's updated.
Thanks!
DS software is updated.
http://3dscapture.com/ds/index.html

jayare

Post by jayare » Mon May 26, 2014 4:33 am

Awesome!!!!! You saved my life :lol:
Finally, sharp, beautiful gameplay on my TV:
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img842/8986/wwy2b.jpg

BTW, on Windows 7 64 bit, I found out that enabling Aero made things a lot better, but still had some frame skips. But still, my Windows XP computer handles it way better for some reason.

Thank you so much!!