Have a couple of questions before I purchase...

Similnom

Have a couple of questions before I purchase...

Post by Similnom » Tue May 20, 2014 3:17 am

About 3DS capture...

How simple is the actual process of playing the games on the PC/TV? I want to be able to hook the sucker up to my TV and see the two screens displayed on it without a lot of hassle. Can it even be played on a TV or do you need to have it hooked up to your PC to run a program? I have never seen any videos or pictures of the whole process...

Does the mod affect any normal functions of the 3DS like the cameras, 3D slider, etc?

Why only the original 3DS? Why no XL capture yet?

And finally... why should I choose this over 3dsvideocapture.com(other than the price difference)?

And I also had a couple of questions about the DS capture...

Since it is the original fat DS that's used, is there any picture quality lost? Or would the quality be the same as if a DS Lite/DSi was used?

Will it be able to display GBC/GBA games?

Thanks in advance for any responses. :)

Re: Have a couple of questions before I purchase...

Post by Guest » Tue May 20, 2014 7:22 am

No. Only thing it affects is the bottom of the 3DS, so third party battery extenders/cases and stuff probably won't work.
It was designed before the XL was a thing, it's coming in a few months.
Superior support, better software, better product.

It will be the same.
Yes.

triple_lei

Post by triple_lei » Tue May 20, 2014 7:53 am

Similnom wrote: And finally... why should I choose this over 3dsvideocapture.com(other than the price difference)?
No dumb license key restrictions, for one. You get 20 installs, and I get the same warning every time I upgrade the software so I'm wondering if he counts each new software upgrade as an install.

And if you decide to sell it later on, that key might become invalid.

It's all written here in plain Japanese (curiously omitted from the English blog):

http://katsukity.blog123.fc2.com/blog-entry-623.html

Placlu

Post by Placlu » Tue May 20, 2014 9:13 am

triple_lei wrote: No dumb license key restrictions, for one. You get 20 installs, and I get the same warning every time I upgrade the software so I'm wondering if he counts each new software upgrade as an install.

And if you decide to sell it later on, that key might become invalid.

It's all written here in plain Japanese (curiously omitted from the English blog):

http://katsukity.blog123.fc2.com/blog-entry-623.html
It's pretty horrible if he is.. I have had to update the vita software like 100 times.
He finally launched a forum for support, and when I asked, I got a cut/paste "Get a better computer" response essentially.

I don't know if its a translation thing, but it just comes off as arrogant.

ShadowMario3

Post by ShadowMario3 » Tue May 20, 2014 1:13 pm

Placlu wrote:It's pretty horrible if he is.. I have had to update the vita software like 100 times.
He finally launched a forum for support, and when I asked, I got a cut/paste "Get a better computer" response essentially.

Katsukity does seem to be pretty arrogant. Wasn't he the one who mentioned in the Kotaku article that he was the original creator of the 3DS capture board (or said that any other sites are knockoffs of his)? Doubt that was a translation error as well.

MithrilMonarch

Post by MithrilMonarch » Tue May 20, 2014 3:37 pm

ShadowMario3 wrote:
Placlu wrote:It's pretty horrible if he is.. I have had to update the vita software like 100 times.

Katsukity does seem to be pretty arrogant. Wasn't he the one who mentioned in the Kotaku article that he was the original creator of the 3DS capture board (or said that any other sites are knockoffs of his)? Doubt that was a translation error as well.
You are correct.

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Wed May 21, 2014 6:52 pm

Similnom wrote:How simple is the actual process of playing the games on the PC/TV? I want to be able to hook the sucker up to my TV and see the two screens displayed on it without a lot of hassle. Can it even be played on a TV or do you need to have it hooked up to your PC to run a program? I have never seen any videos or pictures of the whole process...
It has to be hooked up to your PC. You can't connect it directly to your TV. If your PC has HDMI outputs (or whatever your TV accepts) then you should be able to use your TV for a display by hooking it up to your PC.
Similnom wrote:Does the mod affect any normal functions of the 3DS like the cameras, 3D slider, etc?
No.
Similnom wrote:Why only the original 3DS? Why no XL capture yet?
Been busy with a lot of other work. I'm working on XL now, it'll be ready soon...ish.
Similnom wrote:And finally... why should I choose this over 3dsvideocapture.com(other than the price difference)?
Katsukity support can be difficult (language barrier, support-via-web-translator) and no online community like this forum that I know of.
I generally don't charge for repairs, Katsukity charges something like $70 minimum, not including shipping to/from Japan.
I don't like his software. I suppose this is a personal preference and something you can get used to.
Better hardware design. This would be less important to the average user, since it's not visible and board capabilities are mostly the same, but I can definitely see where lazy / sloppy design decisions are made on his board. I can go into more details if you _really_ want to know.

Kinda outdated now, but I answered some of this here too - http://www.reddit.com/r/3DS/comments/1u ... _or_loopy/
Similnom wrote:And I also had a couple of questions about the DS capture...
Since it is the original fat DS that's used, is there any picture quality lost? Or would the quality be the same as if a DS Lite/DSi was used?
Will it be able to display GBC/GBA games?
Same picture quality. It works with GBA games.

Placlu

Post by Placlu » Thu May 22, 2014 5:14 am

loopy wrote: Katsukity support can be difficult (language barrier, support-via-web-translator) and no online community like this forum that I know of.
I generally don't charge for repairs, Katsukity charges something like $70 minimum, not including shipping to/from Japan.
I don't like his software. I suppose this is a personal preference and something you can get used to.
Better hardware design. This would be less important to the average user, since it's not visible and board capabilities are mostly the same, but I can definitely see where lazy / sloppy design decisions are made on his board. I can go into more details if you _really_ want to know.
Just to add to this.. I saw this today.
http://nisetorocapture.freeforums.org/p ... n-t12.html
"Please declare your items as being $10 USD" that's really bloody shifty, so he avoids import fees If i'm right in my way of thinking.
Also if it happens to get lost in post, you get $10 and no vita...

Also note his forum is basically identical in design to this one.. what a coincidence...