Questions about functionality.

Linen

Questions about functionality.

Post by Linen » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:57 pm

Hello. I've been thinking about getting a card as a gift for a friend, but I had some questions about what functionality, if any, in the 3DS is sacrificed in exchange for the card.
For an example, I've heard mentions of the infrared port being taken out (though it was in regard to a different maker's cards). Said friend is a Pokemon fanatic, and I know the IR port is used in some Pokemon-related events and/or ingame functions.
In general, though - not just for the infrared port - what sort of functionality/features end up sacrificed in order for a card to fit?

If possible, I would like this information for both the 3DS original and XL/LL.

loopy
Site Admin

Re: Questions about functionality.

Post by loopy » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:40 pm

The old capture card attaches onto the back of the 3DS, so other accessories won't fit (circle pad pro, battery pack, hand grips, charging dock...). The capture card is internal on 3DS XL, but the USB cable may still get in the way (you'll have to cut a hole on the circle pad pro if you want to use the capture card at the same time). The IR port will be left intact. 3DS software isn't affected at all. WiFi, eShop, system updates, etc. still work normallly.

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:46 pm

Is there any video delay between what you see on the ds and what you see on the monitor? .

Linen

Post by Linen » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:03 pm

loopy wrote:The old capture card attaches onto the back of the 3DS, so other accessories won't fit (circle pad pro, battery pack, hand grips, charging dock...). The capture card is internal on 3DS XL, but the USB cable may still get in the way (you'll have to cut a hole on the circle pad pro if you want to use the capture card at the same time). The IR port will be left intact. 3DS software isn't affected at all. WiFi, eShop, system updates, etc. still work normallly.
So no internal features are affected in either model, any issues would lie in the use of peripherals, but less so with XL - noted, thank you very much!

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:59 pm

Guest wrote:Is there any video delay between what you see on the ds and what you see on the monitor? .
A slight delay (couple of frames), but generally not very noticable. Definitely possible to play on your monitor instead, if that's what you want it for.