Loopy vs Katsukity

AKen

Loopy vs Katsukity

Post by AKen » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:54 pm

Hey there, I just ordered a board from Katsukity. I was going to go with 3DSCapture, however they have run out of boards and I simply wanted a board before Smash for 3DS released. Anyway, I was wondering what pros and cons exist between Loopy 3DSCapture and Katsukity, price, communication, and wait time not included. I'm certain that the board architecture is different but aside from that, what pros and cons exist?

triple_lei

Re: Loopy vs Katsukity

Post by triple_lei » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:32 pm

Katsukity's products have their own DRM; you can only install the software on 20 different devices. Naturally, there's a serial number you have to keep track of. I get that same "only 20 devices" warning every time I install newer versions of the software, or even just install the same software on different drives on the same device, so who knows if I'm already down to single digits with my Vita capture card.

And then there's the software itself; loopy says it's inefficient or something and I'll just have to take his word for it. But from a consumer standpoint, the usability could've been better. I shouldn't have to dick around with calibration settings. The drivers also seemed to be 100% more complicated to install. Loopy's stuff has always worked right out of the box.

Katsukity doesn't include recording software so you'll need something like Fraps or Bandicam to record. Though of course you can use Fraps with loopy's software too.

If anything goes wrong, only loopy will take a look at your system for free.

About the only pros I can think of for Katsukity is that he gets around to the newer devices first, and he doesn't seem to sell out. He was the only way I could get a Vita capture card. And I think Katsukity has better Mac support.

loopy
Site Admin

Post by loopy » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:59 pm

No better or worse on the Mac. He doesn't have native Mac support either and recommends virtualization software.

lokistarwind

Post by lokistarwind » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:11 am

Considering I am a mac user only. I could look at how well Loopy's performs. If Katsukity recommend virtualization, then that is an issue seeing how it can be a bit of a hassle getting recording software to work that way. Also a lot more cpu usage.

Hat

Post by Hat » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:45 am

Well, if it helps I've got a current model (2014) Mac Mini.

I've tried running the DS (not 3DS, I don't have one of those) Capture (although it's largely similar) in a Win7 Virtual Machine using Parallels and it ran near flawlessly, with just a touch of lag from my Monitor/Television. I imagine a lower-inpact Virtual Machine could run it even better and allow for other stuff like recording or streaming software to work better.

Hat

Post by Hat » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:47 am

And because I forgot to specify: I was using loopy's DS capture, not katsukity's.

WukongPanda

Post by WukongPanda » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:01 am

The only con I could think of was the fact Loopy doesnt have his 3ds XL boards available yet....its honestly the ONLY reason I am even looking at Katsukity. Once his become available I will be first in line for my order

onthelam

Post by onthelam » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:44 pm

I was using the beta Mac Capture software a user on these boards posted and the Mac OBS client and it worked flawlessly. Recently sold my OG 3DS with CC so I'm waiting on Loopy getting his XL boards in stock before I get my US and JP 3DS XLs modded.

3dscaptureforum

Post by 3dscaptureforum » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:07 am

I made this small comparison in note form for myself when I go to order mine, I am from UK so that factors.

2 adapterboards are available:Loopy is the one that wins

+ Loopy: 2 year free repairs (pay £15 shipping), USB cable at the back, SDRAM for smoother frame rate
- Loopy: external card makes it bulkier/heavier, no 3D output for oculus rift (but may happen later on S/W side)

Katsukity (japan)

+Katsukity: his solution is internal(I think for 3DS), 3D oculus rift support.
-Katsukity: repairs are expensive (£100) and Risky *.
bad customer Support Stories.Language Barrier Problem
USB Port may not be placed in a good place (at the front somewhere?)
some say: software doesn't look as good,image qaulity not as good.
software has license keys so selling off my be a problem as it may become invalid *
My observation: it seems his board needs a lot of repair jobs, maybe due to it being internal?
on S/W:not sure if you can seperate and resize the screens in windows, you can in loopys
Drivers more complicated to install

*he charges £100+ for a repair. (£50+ for repair, + shipping £20? + another import charge £30?), if your postage gets lost on the way, you will lose your £300 item, b/c he forces you to state the item is worth £5 on shipping charges so he doesn't have to pay import tax. however on sending back he will put a high value price on it (to protect him, at your expense) so you wil have to pay high import duty.

Akumamoto

Post by Akumamoto » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:24 am

I've been MIA from the original 3DS Capture Board for quite some time. I had my 3DS modded a long time ago back when it was first being offered by Loopy. When I got it back, everything worked fine. Loopy went as far as to talk to people about recommendations and he did a lot of research on his end. The mod is well placed and well built, and Loopy was very timely with communication, even though he had tons of back orders to fill.

When I look at the pros and cons between Katsukity and Loopy, I'd vote for Loopy. The only real advantage that Katsukity has are the newer unit supports. His DRM stuff is dumb and I'd never support that. Katsukity is being too gimmicky and I don't trust that because he's trying to be extremely controlling.

Some years back, in 2012, I stumbled across Loopy's forums. I also found during that time that Katsukity tried to hijack Loopy's potential customer many, many times and was quite rude about it and always tried to show up Loopy with positive news about himself. Now, going 2 years forward, I stumbled across an article as of recent where Katsukity basically posted twice within 30 posts to come buy from him. The article also quoted Katsukity's words that no one else can make them and that all others are fake and never once acknowledged Loopy or took on other posts that talked about Loopy soon after to correct the article. As soon as Katuskity saw posts about Loopy, he started posting to come buy from himself.

All in all, I find Katsukity rude, selfish, greedy, and a glory hound based on the above evidence that didn't seem to change over the 2 year span somehow. I will NOT support such a person. Loopy has always been straight forward and honest and there's over 100 pages to prove it. Go Loopy! BUY LOOPY!